**help with design & interference/diffraction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been scouring the threads on this board as well as the internet and I'm having a hard time figuring out if my cabinet design is going to cause me interference or diffraction on the back end?

I'm a little new to this, so you'll have to excuse me if the answer is simple or easy to figure out/find.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The black intersecting lines will be braces, but with large squares cut out to reduce internal ft^3, and keep it from being completely sectioned off...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It is a subwoofer, the wavelengths involved are so large they won't even see the outside of your cabinet.

With 2 woofers you really should take advantage of push-push loading, it will take a BIG load off the box.

dave

Thank you for your insight.

I had considered a push-push design briefly, but the cabinet is actually for someone else who wants the finished product to look like a pixar ladybug (the speakers will be the wide eyes). I'll post a CAD/3D mock up as soon as I'm finished with it.

just to be thorough, you are saying that the spacing between each sound wave will keep it from having interference, so the alignment in this scenario isn't an issue? I assumed, because each speaker will be playing the same frequency so close to one another and angled, that it might cause some sort of cancelation...

Angle is not relevant, it's the path-length difference between each source and the listening point. At the worst case, that's the distance between the drivers.

Given that the wavelength of 50Hz is just under 7m and your drivers are 0.3m apart, interference is not a problem - it will act as a point source. Once you get up to 550Hz, it will produce destructive interference in the lateral direction so make sure your crossover point is below 150Hz and it'll be totally fine.

Thank you for your insight.

I had considered a push-push design briefly, but the cabinet is actually for someone else who wants the finished product to look like a pixar ladybug (the speakers will be the wide eyes). I'll post a CAD/3D mock up as soon as I'm finished with it.

just to be thorough, you are saying that the spacing between each sound wave will keep it from having interference, so the alignment in this scenario isn't an issue? I assumed, because each speaker will be playing the same frequency so close to one another and angled, that it might cause some sort of cancelation...

I am so glad the wife doesn't read these pages or I'd have another project :D

Cool, how do the mains look :)

By "mains," I assume you mean the speakers themselves (if not, I apologize for being confused by the nomenclature)? :confused:

I'm repurposing two Lanzar Max 12d subwoofers. I have a shoddy trunk that is leaking, and I don't want my speakers to get ruined... so, instead of retiring them, and since my girlfriend is wanting more uumph to her the home theater, I'm creating this project around her strange aesthetic requests.

http://www.lanzar.com/el/MAX12.jpg

I'll probably put some speaker fabric/mesh over the face of the cones to hide the "Lanzar" name and insignia... not sure yet.

Hi,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• LanzarMax12d.JPG
    LanzarMax12d.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 54
Hi,

FYI:

b:)
:bigeyes: Wow, thank you!

I'll be honest and say I'm a little intimidated right now by horns. I guess I don't quite understand them at the moment. That's not to say I'm not incredibly intrigued by the design and possibilities... my next project was to actually attempt to redo my main's (the dayton 7" Dayton Audio DA175-8 7" Aluminum Cone Woofer | 295-335 and the tweeter) in a folded horn, or tapered quarter wave design... But I'm not sure if a aluminum coned woofer is to rigid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.