Good 8" drivers for Tapped horns with long path lengths? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2014, 08:28 PM   #11
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi sine143,

The TH-SPUD is hard to beat:
Dual 8" tapped horn = TH-SPUD
At least it is a good starting point. I think it was jbell who squeezed the 55-2421 up to 8:1, and it stll survived. :-) I would not go past 3 or 4 :1.

Regards,
Old 13th February 2014, 08:41 PM   #12
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks for that link TB (sorry, my six key doesnt work so I'll never be able to spell your name out lol). I've been looking for it.

The THspud seems to dig a bit lower than I need, and is about 375 liters for 2 8s, I'd like to stuff 4 8s in that space if possible. I realize I'll likely only be able to get response down to about 20 to 25hz rather than the 15 or so hz the spud goes to. It has like a six hundred and 20 cm path length, about 150 more cm than I think I am really willing to go.

I dont think I can beat the spud, but then again i'm not trying to compete with it ;p

GM, I missed your second post. checking it out now!!!!

Last edited by sine143; 13th February 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:53 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

GM, your design is the MCM 8 correct? doesnt it only have 8mm of xmax?
Old 13th February 2014, 09:31 PM   #14
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I'm no expert, and I do not intend to sound harsh, but not sure I would do that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad 8 corner tapped horn concept.jpg (4.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 13th February 2014, 09:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

yeah me either. friend askes specifically about something that would fit snug in a corner, firing into said corner, so I sketched that up. I also sketched up something similar with a slightly different fold internally (same picture, just slightly messed with one side of the fold, the right side, to squeeze some more path length and eliminate some deadspace)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (5).JPG (760.0 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by sine143; 13th February 2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 13th February 2014, 09:36 PM   #16
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi sine143,

I didn't mean to copy that one. I just like some of the design ideas.

I'll attach the Hornresp Export file for one I drew up (w/o an actual detailed drawing it's just all guesswork anyhow) prior to stuffing being available in Hornresp, I added stuffing and filters here:

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: txt 144L_MCM.txt (950 Bytes, 11 views)
Old 13th February 2014, 10:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

TB, thats a lot like what my sims with the mcm 8 were looking like too, some wobble across passband with a nasty high end.

heres my comparison with the anarchy woofer (dual driver) vs your mcm 8 dual driver, in about 145liters each. The anarchy woofer needs about a 22hz hipass (mainly due to lower SD imo), where as the mcm needs about a 19 hz hipass, so the mcm digs a bit lower (19hz is below the bandpass of the sub so it doesnt really affect response). Both designs exceed xmax inside pass band (12mm for anarchy, 8mm for mcm), so no jiggling of hipass settings will help them there.

EDIT, forgot to attach image lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcm8dualvsanarchydual25hz.jpg (247.4 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by sine143; 13th February 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:37 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
TB, thats a lot like what my sims with the mcm 8 were looking like too, some wobble across passband with a nasty high end.

heres my comparison with the anarchy woofer (dual driver) vs your mcm 8 dual driver, in about 145liters each. The anarchy woofer needs about a 22hz hipass (mainly due to lower SD imo), where as the mcm needs about a 19 hz hipass, so the mcm digs a bit lower (19hz is below the bandpass of the sub so it doesnt really affect response). Both designs exceed xmax inside pass band (12mm for anarchy, 8mm for mcm), so no jiggling of hipass settings will help them there.

EDIT, forgot to attach image lol.
That out of band noise starts right after the passband and is around 10dB higher than it. That's going to require quite a bit of processing to effectively deal with it.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Lower than 85hz peak and 120hz peak shown on the mcm dual 8 graph, and the anarchy is more sensiive in pass band so that mess has less gain comparitavly. Suppossedly hornresp exaggerates the peaks as well but wont know till its built lol
Old 14th February 2014, 02:16 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
Lower than 85hz peak and 120hz peak shown on the mcm dual 8 graph, and the anarchy is more sensiive in pass band so that mess has less gain comparitavly. Suppossedly hornresp exaggerates the peaks as well but wont know till its built lol
Not that much. See my sim'd vs. measured results here:

Click the image to open in full size.

The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : "Proof of Concept #3"

Note - the sharp dip around 220 Hz is likely because I didn't use any reflectors in the box, or maybe some other resonance in the box not predicted by HornResp. Now, if I had mad box skillz I would have tried to engineer that resonance to be around 140 Hz to null that little peak out, but alas...

The out of band resonances don't seem to be so high compared to passband when I sim THs with larger drivers. Maybe POC #3 is going to be based around a 15" driver instead...

Hide this!Advertise here!