Suggestions for Mid/ upper Bass Driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2014, 02:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions for Mid/ upper Bass Driver

Hi All,

I am looking to shore up my Axiom M22s in the mid bass region. I was thinking of building 2 sealed bass bottoms for them (~2 cubic feet) to handle maybe between 80-200 hz. I also plan on building a sub but the driver is on backorder at the moment.

So...What makes a good mid bass driver? I was looking at the Dayton RS270-8 10" but I'm not sure.
I'll be crossing these over using a minidsp setup.

Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 05:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Dayton RS270-8 10" for a 80-200Hz region works great in a sealed 15-20L, as your specifications. I'm not aware for the final results, just in paper.
Old 12th February 2014, 08:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypete View Post
Hi All,

I am looking to shore up my Axiom M22s in the mid bass region. I was thinking of building 2 sealed bass bottoms for them (~2 cubic feet) to handle maybe between 80-200 hz. I also plan on building a sub but the driver is on backorder at the moment.

So...What makes a good mid bass driver? I was looking at the Dayton RS270-8 10" but I'm not sure.
I'll be crossing these over using a minidsp setup.

Thanks
Best midbass is one that has an extended upper frequency response of 2kHz, best would be above 5kHz with low breakup. The mechanical reason is lighter cones with sufficient motor strength have an improved transient capability that carries through lower down. This is what is referred to as fast sounding. Problem is this normally requires a cone that is on the flimsy side and totally unlike bullet proof mega watt subs. Classic example is an old Altec 515
Old 13th February 2014, 02:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

crazypete,
If building a sub why building a "mid bass" speaker pair plus a sub, and not building 2 good subs?! It might all depend on the layout of the listening room, I guess. It's (more) easy to implement a speaker + sub pair, having in consideration the crossover frequencies you are going to use, but I'm also looking forward to the results of your idea.
Old 13th February 2014, 04:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
crazypete,
If building a sub why building a "mid bass" speaker pair plus a sub, and not building 2 good subs?! It might all depend on the layout of the listening room, I guess. It's (more) easy to implement a speaker + sub pair, having in consideration the crossover frequencies you are going to use, but I'm also looking forward to the results of your idea.
Modal distribution is one, the other would likely be related to transient clarity.
Am working on the same problem, using a similar but different approach.
Old 13th February 2014, 06:35 AM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
Classic example is an old Altec 515
Yeah, mine will probably have to be pried from my cold, dead hands, so to speak.

GM
Old 13th February 2014, 08:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
Best midbass is one that has an extended upper frequency response of 2kHz, best would be above 5kHz with low breakup. The mechanical reason is lighter cones with sufficient motor strength have an improved transient capability that carries through lower down. This is what is referred to as fast sounding. Problem is this normally requires a cone that is on the flimsy side and totally unlike bullet proof mega watt subs. Classic example is an old Altec 515
So you are not saying to cross over the speakers a 2 kHz, but that they should be good through that range, correct? And that I would like to go for something with a low QTS (below .3?) and a high QMS, right?
If that is true the Dayton RS270-8 may not be the best choice since the QTS=0.4 and the QMS is 1.75.

Maybe these are closer to what I'm looking for? http://www.parts-express.com/eminenc...8-ohm--290-412

Regards,

Last edited by crazypete; 13th February 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 13th February 2014, 08:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
crazypete,
I guess I figured that with 2 good subs I would still not cross them over above 100 Hz, so I would still want something for the midbass - am I wrong about that? And since subs are not directional one would be good enough. I'm planning on using the Dayton UM18-22 if they ever come in in a ~300 L sealed box. I plan on setting it in the middle of the room as an end table beside the couch.
Old 14th February 2014, 05:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You are in the good path. The 10" Eminence driver works in a bandpass (with port 9.5cm/D, 9.5cm/L) or 18-20L reflex, not sealed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUB 4th order bandpass Eminence Delta-10A.jpg (200.5 KB, 85 views)
Old 14th February 2014, 07:07 AM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

12pe32
Click the image to open in full size.
Delta 10A
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!