Suggestions for Mid/ upper Bass Driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 02:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default Suggestions for Mid/ upper Bass Driver

Hi All,

I am looking to shore up my Axiom M22s in the mid bass region. I was thinking of building 2 sealed bass bottoms for them (~2 cubic feet) to handle maybe between 80-200 hz. I also plan on building a sub but the driver is on backorder at the moment.

So...What makes a good mid bass driver? I was looking at the Dayton RS270-8 10" but I'm not sure.
I'll be crossing these over using a minidsp setup.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 05:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Inductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cascais
Dayton RS270-8 10" for a 80-200Hz region works great in a sealed 15-20L, as your specifications. I'm not aware for the final results, just in paper.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 08:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Greebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of the Skyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypete View Post
Hi All,

I am looking to shore up my Axiom M22s in the mid bass region. I was thinking of building 2 sealed bass bottoms for them (~2 cubic feet) to handle maybe between 80-200 hz. I also plan on building a sub but the driver is on backorder at the moment.

So...What makes a good mid bass driver? I was looking at the Dayton RS270-8 10" but I'm not sure.
I'll be crossing these over using a minidsp setup.

Thanks
Best midbass is one that has an extended upper frequency response of 2kHz, best would be above 5kHz with low breakup. The mechanical reason is lighter cones with sufficient motor strength have an improved transient capability that carries through lower down. This is what is referred to as fast sounding. Problem is this normally requires a cone that is on the flimsy side and totally unlike bullet proof mega watt subs. Classic example is an old Altec 515
__________________
When all your problems look like nails, then the only solution is a different hammer - MLH
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 02:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Inductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cascais
crazypete,
If building a sub why building a "mid bass" speaker pair plus a sub, and not building 2 good subs?! It might all depend on the layout of the listening room, I guess. It's (more) easy to implement a speaker + sub pair, having in consideration the crossover frequencies you are going to use, but I'm also looking forward to the results of your idea.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 04:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Greebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South of the Skyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
crazypete,
If building a sub why building a "mid bass" speaker pair plus a sub, and not building 2 good subs?! It might all depend on the layout of the listening room, I guess. It's (more) easy to implement a speaker + sub pair, having in consideration the crossover frequencies you are going to use, but I'm also looking forward to the results of your idea.
Modal distribution is one, the other would likely be related to transient clarity.
Am working on the same problem, using a similar but different approach.
__________________
When all your problems look like nails, then the only solution is a different hammer - MLH
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 06:35 AM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member
 
GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chamblee, Ga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
Classic example is an old Altec 515
Yeah, mine will probably have to be pried from my cold, dead hands, so to speak.

GM
__________________
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 08:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greebster View Post
Best midbass is one that has an extended upper frequency response of 2kHz, best would be above 5kHz with low breakup. The mechanical reason is lighter cones with sufficient motor strength have an improved transient capability that carries through lower down. This is what is referred to as fast sounding. Problem is this normally requires a cone that is on the flimsy side and totally unlike bullet proof mega watt subs. Classic example is an old Altec 515
So you are not saying to cross over the speakers a 2 kHz, but that they should be good through that range, correct? And that I would like to go for something with a low QTS (below .3?) and a high QMS, right?
If that is true the Dayton RS270-8 may not be the best choice since the QTS=0.4 and the QMS is 1.75.

Maybe these are closer to what I'm looking for? http://www.parts-express.com/eminenc...8-ohm--290-412

Regards,

Last edited by crazypete; 13th February 2014 at 08:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 08:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
crazypete,
If building a sub why building a "mid bass" speaker pair plus a sub, and not building 2 good subs?! It might all depend on the layout of the listening room, I guess. It's (more) easy to implement a speaker + sub pair, having in consideration the crossover frequencies you are going to use, but I'm also looking forward to the results of your idea.
I guess I figured that with 2 good subs I would still not cross them over above 100 Hz, so I would still want something for the midbass - am I wrong about that? And since subs are not directional one would be good enough. I'm planning on using the Dayton UM18-22 if they ever come in in a ~300 L sealed box. I plan on setting it in the middle of the room as an end table beside the couch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 05:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Inductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cascais
You are in the good path. The 10" Eminence driver works in a bandpass (with port 9.5cm/D, 9.5cm/L) or 18-20L reflex, not sealed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUB 4th order bandpass Eminence Delta-10A.jpg (200.5 KB, 85 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 07:07 AM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member
 
freddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
12pe32
Click the image to open in full size.
Delta 10A
Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
modify reflex bass/mid to sealed upper bass/mid AndrewT Multi-Way 22 14th December 2013 11:50 AM
Hyperbolic mid/upper bass horn sannax Multi-Way 163 27th October 2011 08:22 PM
Celestion TF1015 10 inch upper bass/mid jamikl Multi-Way 0 4th July 2011 02:49 AM
Suggestions: Stereo Mid-Bass/Sub enclosure 'stands' for Bookshelf speakers Kilroy Multi-Way 6 11th March 2010 05:05 AM
Magical upper mid driver? RHosch Multi-Way 13 17th September 2003 03:35 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2