commercial sub advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2014, 02:15 AM   #1
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default commercial sub advice

I'm not sure if I'm over stepping boundaries, if that's the case please delete this no feelings will be hurt here. I have my mind on a used miller & kreisel subwoofer and have a couple questions about this particular model, searching didn't help me with specifics. I'd be happy to discuss with anyone having some knowledge on them via pm. I plan on building my own subs but am being a little impatient wanting to try a sealed system with some infinite baffles that are new to me.
Old 12th February 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I missed your point.
You go buy a used sub and/or want to diy build a sealed sub? Dimensions of driver and (net) enclosure. Post also the use (inside/auto) and amps you expect to use...
Old 12th February 2014, 11:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No no, sorry. I was trying to narrow down the age of a sub having concerns about foam rot. Planning to make some but want one to use for the time being. Seems they had long production runs but not nearly as long as the seller was trying to sell me.
Old 13th February 2014, 01:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I once had the M&K Volkswoofer 3B, bought new in 1983, sold it to a friend in about 1995. I think he eventually got it re-coned since it did have the ghastly foam suspension. I thought it sounded great. I've since built several clones of it, with better drivers and external electronics. Active EQ and a closed box design is by far the best way to go in my opinion, for a Hi-Fi system.

Foam seems to self disintegrate after about 10-15 years from my experience. Significantly faster if sunlight hits on it regularly. I've never seen rubber surrounds have any problem with age. Since the M&K is a closed box design, and uses heavy active EQ ahead of the poweramp to get an acoustically relatively flat response down to 25HZ, you could probably replace the woofer driver with a Peerless approximate equivalent driver and get very similar results performance wise. The peerless driver is probably better than the stock driver and has rubber suspension and possibly a well vented spider and/or pole piece, or just get the original driver re-coned but may also be foam suspension.
Old 13th February 2014, 01:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If the original driver has a foam surround, you can replace rotted foam yourself. Foam repair kits are inexpensive, and pretty easy to do.
Old 13th February 2014, 04:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've been putting together a small music system, foams were gone on the closed speakers I'm using with that. Its likely why they were free. I repaired them, the bass they make sounds exceptional. I can't seem to get either of my open box subs to blend in and sound quite right with them. Not because they sound bad, they sound different.
Old 14th February 2014, 02:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You need to describe both set ups for 1. upper frequency and 2. lower frequency, with dimensions (including front baffle and/or net volume) and type of speakers OB in this case for #1 or fullrange. The same for the sub LF speaker with make and model for the loudspeaker drivers in both instances and the crossovers used in your case.

If posting in diyAudio try to give maximum information, for the forum, with also the size of your room.
Old 15th February 2014, 01:55 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Inductor, all were commercially made and I have no ambitions to change them. I will investigate another route.
Old 15th February 2014, 09:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I want accurate musical sub power for HIFI only, yes closed design. Would the EQ in dayton's SPA500 be "heavy enough" to get the job done? I narrowed my choice down to this plate, but it isn't cast in stone. I would like to have something similar to the V-125, only a version on a few performance enhancers. Pretty straight forward in terms of cabinetry, I think. I read page after page of good things about the musicality and accuracy of M&K subs. I would like to duplicate this sound. I also need some guidance choosing an appropriate driver. Nothing crazy, 12" 200-250w(?), 250$ range. I'm thinking it should be enough inside 11.5x15.5 x7.5H room with a sealed exterior door and double sheet drywall. I don't need to feel the music as much as I like to hear it. But sometimes that's nice too.
Old 15th February 2014, 10:48 PM   #10
jagster is offline jagster  United States
diyAudio Member

I had an inexpensive Sony sub that did an excellent job. It was powered and got rave reviews on several sites. Most people modded theirs with more sound deadening and re-coated the woofer cone. You could spend tons on a highly regarded model and be disappointed, so take the time to listen before laying down the cash. Most people don't really need a sub with good speakers, unless you want those very lows for some violent movies or games.

Hide this!Advertise here!