Cheap Sub with fantastick results - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2014, 07:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cheap Sub with fantastick results

I'm posting this for anyone who needs a good and emphasize Good quality Sub-woofer . I originally bout 4 MCM 55-2421 8" woofers ( incredible quality ) to build an transmission Horn sub cabinet but after really thinking about how big this would be in my little 12'x 13' room I decided to down size I built 2 really simple 11"x 15.5" x 22" ( outside) sealed w/ 3lb. of fiberglass insulation. These woofer have an Xmax of 16mm and move some big time air. If I were to use them in a bigger room I would definitely port them. But in this sealed cabinet they get down as low as 10Hz you feel the bass in your chest. I have these coupled to a 200w plate amp each.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 964631_475470789199819_1278409679_o.jpg (265.7 KB, 1052 views)
Old 12th February 2014, 01:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds impressive. Over on HTS I have a thread called "Easiest DIY sub?" I think it is. It is simialr to my "bose cannon knock-off" here on diy. While I did not of course invent it, I have been rattling stuff for months now with a 12' (actually cut it to about 10 1/2') 12" dia. Sonotube + 12" sub driver with pretty impressive results. I claim a rarity in DIY speakers: "carpentry free" ... ongoing problem is how to mount the driver so that it doesn't come undone. Of course, having an unfinished huge tube in the living room is not to everyone's taste, but if you saw my living room you would not accuse me of having any
Old 12th February 2014, 01:57 AM   #3
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice Job, how many ohms is the cabinet?
Old 12th February 2014, 02:56 AM   #4
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

My intended room is just about the same size with an 8 foot ceiling, it sounds like one of them might suit my needs. Or a pair housed in separate boxes.
Old 12th February 2014, 03:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsixis View Post
Nice Job, how many ohms is the cabinet?
There both 8ohm speakers that are wired in series for 4 olms . they will rattle the walls if I turn bot units up to just 50 watts .They are only $ 29.00 they are going up steadily in price as they sell more of them as I only paid $24.00ea. 1 year ago....
Old 12th February 2014, 03:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4927 View Post
My intended room is just about the same size with an 8 foot ceiling, it sounds like one of them might suit my needs. Or a pair housed in separate boxes.
Build just one box with 2 drivers this be all you will need and would easily suffice for room twice as large , I only built 2 cabinets just because I had the speakers ..... and they both can give you that earthquake feel all through your body. its an overkill for my little room and there easy on your budget....
Old 12th February 2014, 04:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Very Cool!!!!

I need to build me about 4 of those !!!!

jer
Old 12th February 2014, 08:34 AM   #8
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronkoeder View Post
Build just one box with 2 drivers this be all you will need and would easily suffice for room twice as large , I only built 2 cabinets just because I had the speakers ..... and they both can give you that earthquake feel all through your body. its an overkill for my little room and there easy on your budget....
Something to think about. The price sounds right for sure, more could go towards amplification. Speaking of which what are you powering and filtering them with? I'd like to get one of the Hypex plates with dsp but I'm pretty sure no one sells them over here.
Old 12th February 2014, 01:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have Yung plate amps built in to them part # 301-508 @ Parts Express they handle all the crossover freq. Bass Freq's. do not need as much power to drive a woofer.... 200 watts is more than you really need inside of a home. Any more amplification is just going to drive the amp harder and a waist of money for home use as you would rarely if ever would crank it over 200 watts.

Last edited by Byronkoeder; 12th February 2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: To add info.
Old 12th February 2014, 02:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
Very Cool!!!!

I need to build me about 4 of those !!!!

jer
LOL you would Gerald ...only you would need something that rattle your head

Hide this!Advertise here!