Cheap Sub with fantastick results - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2014, 01:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Sounds impressive. Over on HTS I have a thread called "Easiest DIY sub?" I think it is. It is simialr to my "bose cannon knock-off" here on diy. While I did not of course invent it, I have been rattling stuff for months now with a 12' (actually cut it to about 10 1/2') 12" dia. Sonotube + 12" sub driver with pretty impressive results. I claim a rarity in DIY speakers: "carpentry free" ... ongoing problem is how to mount the driver so that it doesn't come undone. Of course, having an unfinished huge tube in the living room is not to everyone's taste, but if you saw my living room you would not accuse me of having any
Cut a circular piece of 3/4" MDF the size of the inside diameter of your tube then cut a speaker opening in it glue this inside your tube and WaLa your Got it mounted...
Old 13th February 2014, 02:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

May try that next. Currently am trying caulk again but this time with an old tennis ball wedged between the voice coil of the driver and the tube to try and hold the driver in place
Old 17th February 2014, 01:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Mounting

You need to mount the driver in solid that calking your using will allow frame movement and you will not get full reproduction of sound....
Old 17th February 2014, 05:30 PM   #14
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

MDF or plywood cable spool ends might come in 12" diameters. If you can find some abandoned ones (I encounter them everywhere). Sandwich a couple three together, ones I've seen are only about 3/8" thickness. At least that would save from doing the precise outer cuts..might just have to sand a little if its a snug fit. You can cut the speaker hole with a drill and a swift bruce lee chop if need be. Screwing it in place through the sono would absolutely be best.

Last edited by SS4927; 17th February 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 17th February 2014, 05:43 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Yes on the screws and a little glue around the edges to seal it air tight . most defiantly would be better than just chalking them in....
Old 17th February 2014, 06:32 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I use silicone to mount all of my drivers!
Never had a problem yet!!!

Just don't use it on a recessed driver or else you won't be able to get a knife in there to cut the rubber should you need to get one out.

If it is a working driver you won't be able to pry them out without bending and warping the frame unless it is a cast frame using this method.

Screws and T-nuts are a better way to go but you may need to put some Loctite (or super glue on the back side of the screw head) on them as well if they tend vibrate loose.

Also use a spring type lock washer too.

This way you can screw the screw without over tightening them reducing the risk of warping the frame as well.
Although, lock washers may not be necessary if you are using some sort of gasket material between the speaker frame and the mounting baffle.

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 17th February 2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 18th February 2014, 01:41 AM   #17
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronkoeder View Post
I have Yung plate amps built in to them part # 301-508 @ Parts Express they handle all the crossover freq. Bass Freq's. do not need as much power to drive a woofer.... 200 watts is more than you really need inside of a home. Any more amplification is just going to drive the amp harder and a waist of money for home use as you would rarely if ever would crank it over 200 watts.
Non-sense. I'm running a 15" Cerwin-Vega Stroker in a ported enclosure off a 300W RMS Bash amplifier that I bought from Parts Express. I crank it to the max, and while it gets plenty loud, it certainly isn't always loud enough. For those times, I hook the Stroker up to a Peavey CS800X.
Old 18th February 2014, 01:58 AM   #18
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

FWIW the excellent MCM drivers really will go into tiny sealed
well stuffed cabinets and give a well damped slow 2nd order
roll-off that if it matches your room gain well gives deep bass.

rgds, sreten.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:18 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
Non-sense. I'm running a 15" Cerwin-Vega Stroker in a ported enclosure off a 300W RMS Bash amplifier that I bought from Parts Express. I crank it to the max, and while it gets plenty loud, it certainly isn't always loud enough. For those times, I hook the Stroker up to a Peavey CS800X.
You can say nonsense all you want if your into deafening your ears or have a trashy speaker you may need all that amperage and they will not stack up against my 2x 8" subs there's a thing called quality reproduction not over exaggeration 200 watts is more than enough for my unit.
Old 18th February 2014, 02:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

FWIW the excellent MCM drivers really will go into tiny sealed
well stuffed cabinets and give a well damped slow 2nd order
roll-off that if it matches your room gain well gives deep bass.

rgds, sreten.
Keep in mind ,I have 2 sets of these and Im most certain they could carry deep bass in a room twice as large and bigger.

Hide this!Advertise here!