Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2014, 08:39 AM   #1
geolang is offline geolang  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Default Converting ported box into sealed

Hi,

I want to build a sealed sub-woofer using a pair old 10" woofers (LO-D L2502) from a Hitachi HS 330 mk2.
Unfortunately I cannot find T/S parameters anywhere on the net. I do have the original cabinets, so I figured I can use those dimensions for the new enclosure. The original box is very a precisely built vented design, but since I want to build a closed one I'm not sure that I can use those sizes (minus the reflex port, xo, mid and tweeter volume) for a sealed box? Also using thicker mdf instead of the original chipboard panels would matter?

cheers
Old 9th February 2014, 09:00 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

seal, fit and try.

The worst that can happen is that the hump in the frequency response is too high for your listening preferences.

If it is too high, or rolls off too slowly, you can read up on and implement a Linkwitz transform.
Old 9th February 2014, 09:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

I will be using with an active xo. The original xo was somewhere around 900hz for the woofer, but obviously I will set it a lot below that.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:30 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A low pass section of a crossover has no effect on the driver loading given by the box.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just red through quickly the Linkwitz transform. I see now what you meant. Seems to be a very cool thing, but I hope there will be no need for that.
Old 9th February 2014, 06:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I wish everybody wanted to do the same. Just make a slightly leaky sealed box and you'll be happy (assuming the box isn't too small or the drivers too anemic).

There're no design principles with sealed boxes (or leaky boxes) worth fussing about. That's the simple practical truth.

The art lies in having whatever little output bump-up occur in a freq range that's beneficial and it often will be (see my assumptions above).

Ben
Old 9th February 2014, 06:29 PM   #7
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
FYI:
Another educated guessing of eventual occurring bumps..or..more of pure nonsense comments?:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitachi HS 330 mk2.JPG (341.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 9th February 2014, 06:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Since this loudspeaker is a precisely engineered vented enclosure (As most are), the EBP is suited to a vented alignment. Simply sealing up the vented enclosure will get you a severely rolled off response getting you a Qtc near to 0.5.....that said, if you put the pair of drivers in an enclosure near to the same volume as ONE enclosure, this will drive up the Qtc closer to 0.7, sealed.

______________________________________________Rick ...........
Old 9th February 2014, 06:45 PM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Wall thickness makes no difference to internal dimensions.

A pragmatic approach is build it sealed, with opposed
drivers on the left and right walls, well stuffed and go
for 1.5 times the one original box internal volume.

rgds, sreten.

FWIW there is nothing precise about a vented box
you can tell by just looking. You cannot tell whether
it a proper bass alignment or a serious boom box
alignment, the latter often used as cheap BSC.

Last edited by sreten; 9th February 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 9th February 2014, 07:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the inputs guys, especially to bjorno for the lovely chart. Got the guidelines, though the optimal result still gonna be a bit of question of luck. Probably I install both drivers into a slightly smaller box size than the original and try to adjust with damping if needed or worth it.

Hide this!Advertise here!