New and have no clue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone my first post here. After reading some of the posts in here, I realize a lot of this is way over my head.

I want to get this subwoofer for my truck:

Helix Precision P8W Specs:

• Power Handling: 300W RMS (600W Max.)
  • Sensitivity: 87 dB @ 1W
  • Impedance: 4 Ohms
  • Resonance Frequency: 42 Hz
  • Qms: 4.2
  • Qes: 0.27
  • Qts: 0.26
  • VAS: 18 Liters
  • Linear Cone Excursion: ±1/4”
  • Top-mount depth: 4-9/16"
  • Bottom-mount depth: 5-1/8”
  • Cutout Diameter: 7-7/16”
  • Sealed box volume: 0.28 cu. ft
  • Ported box volume: 0.48 cu. ft.
I want to put it in a sealed box. But don't have any clue how to determine the box actual size. Can anyone help me out? Please?

It's a single cab truck (Ranger) Have four infinity speakers now, and looking for alittle help on the low end.

A cubic foot is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches, 1728 cubic inches.
A box volume of 0.28 cu. ft is 1728 x .28 =428 cubic inches.
The interior dimensions of the box height x width x length need to equal 428 cubic inches plus the area the driver occupies in the box.

Disregarding the driver volume, a 9 x 9 x 5.28 inch (interior dimension) box would be 428 cubic inches.
As a rough guess, the driver might occupy 100 cubic inches, so the depth would be increased by about 1.2 inches, a 9 x9 x 6.5" interior.
Any shape box that will fit the driver and adds up to around 528 cubic inches interior will work fine.

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
In a closed box it will strugle to put out much under 90Hz.

You seem to be forgetting how much cabin gain affects this. Once factored in, the recommended 0.28 ft^3 may be sufficient if the specs are reasonably accurate to get solid output to well below Fs and since it's already somewhat over-damped, it actually needs some VC heating [thermal power compression] to increase Qts a bit.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
I don't recall seeing one per se and the only thing I have is an overlay chart of numerous car models's gain curves that gets posted periodically, though a single cab's truck curve would be even greater.

JBL often includes an approximate response sim with their car audio woofer's specs, so browsing a few of these should give some idea what to expect at minimum.

The general rule is no different than for a room though, so one can probably get an accurate enough estimate once the cab's net Vb and longest dimension is calculated.

GM

Attachments

• room.png
    room.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 89
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.