Dayton Ultimax vs. Stereo Integrity HT vs. TC Sounds - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2014, 10:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton Ultimax vs. Stereo Integrity HT vs. TC Sounds

I'm Thinking about designing my own cabinets for 2x dayton ultimax 15" subs. This is going to be primarily for Home theater but I will occasionally listen to music as well. I have debated the 18" subs but figure they arn't worth the extra money spent. two 15"s will do more than enough.

I was set on getting the dayton Ultimax's until i stumbled upon a couple threads that talked about stereo Integrity HT line subs and the decent specs those subs are capable of. I looked at a lot of threads about these drivers until I found one thread that said not to drive these drivers past 500w or they will bottom out. I believe I found that from the companies web site in the testing and review link they send you to. Here

So I switched my mind back to the Dayton Ultimax with an 800w RMS. I know that is probably way more than what I expect to run them at but I do care for design quality and who knows maybe I do want to knock down the neighbors house at times!!

I have strongly considered the TC sounds drivers because I know that they sound better than the Dayton Ultimax. but how much "better" are they for almost twice the price? I read again that the SPL/price ratio is perfect for buying a dayton ultimax. I care about more than just high SPL and xmax. I care about quality and sound and everything an audiophile cares about.

What would you guys suggest Dayton or SI HT or TC sounds?

I did run some WinISD calculations and determined that purely based on calculations the Ultimax will perform just as well as the TC sounds.

Picture here

Click the image to open in full size.

that image are two 12's, two 15's and TC sounds 2x15's all in a 4^3 ft box sealed. the 12 have to have 750w to perform about the same as the 15's where as the 15's can run a lot less power.

Last edited by curveball323; 30th January 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 9th February 2014, 08:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Ultimax 18 is an interesting choice. If you use them in a sealed enclosure they will reach into the high 20's hz -3db. At $270 each, they are 89db efficient and have over 20mm xmax.

The TC sounds 15's, and the rest of the line, can not take any bottoming out as it will dent the cones. The ultimax cones are as tough as it gets.
Old 12th February 2014, 12:34 AM   #3
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There are many on AVS who run 1100-1250wRMS into each SI HT18 in about 3.5 cubic feet each. I have modelled the same in my thread on this forum (and there should be graphs linked to in it, hopefully) which shows 3.5 cu ft for each driver, and 1250wRMS will see each one reach their c.23mm xmax only under 20Hz, but not rising above it until c.4Hz, even at full input power. They seem to be pretty bulletproof unless you run single-digit Hz sinewves into them.
Old 14th February 2014, 05:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Read This
Data-Bass

that will give you more information on what the SI HT18 can handle.

I really am leaning towards the Dayton Ultimax 18 or 15 now. for a cheaper shipping price then the SI HT18 they will be hard to beat I think. Parts express ships free over a certain price so I think in the near future I'm going to pull the trigger.

Do you think I should design a passive radiator for the Ultimax 18? that would be effing epic huh
Old 14th February 2014, 02:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball323 View Post
Read This
Data-Bass

that will give you more information on what the SI HT18 can handle.

I really am leaning towards the Dayton Ultimax 18 or 15 now. for a cheaper shipping price then the SI HT18 they will be hard to beat I think. Parts express ships free over a certain price so I think in the near future I'm going to pull the trigger.

Do you think I should design a passive radiator for the Ultimax 18? that would be effing epic huh
I have an HT18.

I am very, very happy with it in 4.5 ft^3 sealed.
Old 15th February 2014, 06:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I bet your happy with your SI i'm sure it a great great sub. I'm just thinking the Dayton will be a little cheaper and can handle a little more. doesn't mean much though if it doesn't sound good. but i'm sure with daytons known quality it won't be a problem. I will make a Thread of my build which ever driver I choose. I would be interested in seeing you guys DIY pictures as well. please post below.
Old 15th February 2014, 01:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have no doubt you will be happy with the Ultimax, especially the 18.

The folks on the Parts Express forum seem to love the Ultimax.

I bought my HT18 when it was on special; $219 shipped.
Old 15th February 2014, 04:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I agree you will be happy with either the 15" or 18" Ultimax.

I have 2 UM15-22's in ~4 cu.ft. sealed enclosures, driven by an iNuke 3000DSP. I don't have measurements to back it up yet, but my ears tell me they're awesome.

I listen to music as much as movies, so they work great for me. Sometimes I wish I had more lower end for movies, and have thought about adding more subs, but it may just be the DIY addiction getting the best of me...
Old 13th April 2014, 12:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

you dont need to add more subs, just build a solid low tuned ported enclosure! I use to have 1 18" sub with passive radiator (tuned @18hz), and the output down low was breathtaking in movies! i miss it !! I can only imagine 2 15" in a well designed ported enclosure!!! Youll prolly forget your DIY addiction in the low frequency department!! at least for a good while or until you burn one of them loll
Old 1st July 2014, 06:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just bought a Dayton Ultimax 15" i'm going to go with sealed because there aren't too many movies that go into subsonic frequencies. therefor I can use it for both music and movies. It's going to sound amazing. I got the driver for $150 shipped from parts express on a memorial day sale. for that price I couldn't say no. I will start a build thread soon and provide a link. here is a picture to start

Last edited by curveball323; 1st July 2014 at 06:30 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!