diy sub driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all. I'd like to make a small (12") sub driver, just for fun, out of curiosity. These threads show that it is indeed possible :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...iy-pictures-my-homemade-driver-enclosure.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/162204-homemade-subwoofer.html

I know that constructing a proper driver isnt something for an average joe, but why not at least try it ? I'll start with something small, and most likely not even a tiny bit proper but who knows. Maybe it goes well.
Also, I dont intend to buy a new sub, I already have some. I'm doing this just for fun.

Probably the easiest way would be to copy everything in here: The Process of Making a Homemade Subwoofer pt. 1 - YouTube

But that would be defying its whole purpose, after all, I'm doing it because i want to learn stuff, not copy somebody elses creation.
So here it goes, I'll make the basket out of hard wood (shouldnt be a problem for a small sub). I already have a spider from previous sub. Cone will be probably plastic or out of hard paper (most likely both, later I'll decide which one works better, or i could also reuse the paper cone from my old sub).
Dont know about surround. Duct tape or bicycle tire probably.
Amp from my old active sub will be used. Wattage unknown, 200w peak presumably. Should be more than enough.

My question is, how do i determine what magnet and voice coil would be best for such sub (12") ? And why ? And how about enclosure ? If my finished sub turns out to be "tolerable" (probably not), it will be used for home use (also exclusively for music reproduction), so I'd like to stick with sealed design. Will be difficult without T/S though, and measuring or calculating T/S parameters is pretty much out of the question. Looks like I'll just try and see, nevertheless any advice would help. But currently, the magnet and voice coil are more important.

Thanks guys for any advice.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.