Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

box for Tang Band W6-1139SIF
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2013, 04:23 AM   #1
soundnovice is offline soundnovice
diyAudio Member

Default box for Tang Band W6-1139SIF

what would be most suitable box for Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6.5" subwoofer?
i have come across 38hz tapped horn and ported designs for this, but i am looking for really compact subs. target low freq. would be around 40hz
Old 5th December 2013, 05:10 AM   #2
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

can't go wrong with ported so long as you sim it properly and design the vent properly.
Old 5th December 2013, 05:57 AM   #3
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is actually a really difficult driver to design a ported enclosure around. The problem is that it wants a really small box with a very large port. Both my friend and I have the neo magnet version and even a 3 inch diameter port produces unacceptable chuffing when pushed hard. A 3 inch or larger port in such a small box has to be VERY long to achieve a 30 hz or lower tuning.

My friend had good luck with this driver by using a ported box with multiple drivers, which allows for a larger box with a large diameter port that isn't extremely long. I've personally had good luck with this driver in front loaded and tapped horns.
Old 5th December 2013, 06:33 AM   #4
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
This is actually a really difficult driver to design a ported enclosure around. The problem is that it wants a really small box with a very large port. Both my friend and I have the neo magnet version and even a 3 inch diameter port produces unacceptable chuffing when pushed hard. A 3 inch or larger port in such a small box has to be VERY long to achieve a 30 hz or lower tuning.

My friend had good luck with this driver by using a ported box with multiple drivers, which allows for a larger box with a large diameter port that isn't extremely long. I've personally had good luck with this driver in front loaded and tapped horns.
Please read this whole thread in the link that follows, I have talked about this before, but no one seems to listen

WinIsd and slot ports? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
Old 5th December 2013, 07:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
Please read this whole thread in the link that follows, I have talked about this before, but no one seems to listen

WinIsd and slot ports? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
I think everyone that actually hears about this listens. The problem is that not many people are aware of it. This is old news to me, I've seen a dozen threads that discuss this issue already this year and I was aware of it within the first few months of starting this hobby. Here's the most recent thread on this topic that I've seen. (I haven't actually read it so I don't know if it's accurate or not but I saw it in passing.)

Calculating Subwoofer Port Length - Not So Simple

Now, having said that, I don't think Hornresp and Akabak are as far off as some other programs. After all, a horn is just a big slot port and they usually measure within a hz or two of the predicted tuning.

I don't think I have any sims and measurements saved of my old projects anymore (I haven't built and measured anything for years now) but I don't remember any of my slot ports measuring 30 percent different than predicted by Hornresp.
Old 5th December 2013, 07:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Actually I do have a sim and a measurement. And it's actually a sim and a measurement of the neo Tang Band 1139si in a dual driver slot port design. How convenient is that? I forgot I have a website, it's been so long since I've looked at it.

Please keep in mind that this was done back in 2009 when I was still a rank amateur and the measurement conditions are suspect. I didn't measure impedance but the frequency response matches Hornresp's prediction very well. It measured a couple hz lower than predicted but still very close.

I even mentioned this issue in the write up.

https://sites.google.com/site/amateu...all-ported-sub
Old 5th December 2013, 04:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here's another discussion of this tuning issue, they started talking about it in post 151 last night.

Considering a new alignment for 8x LMS 5400 Ultra 18s. Thoughts? - Page 6

They talk about this issue quite a bit at avsforum.
Old 5th December 2013, 05:17 PM   #8
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Compact design for the W6-1139:

Cerberus
Old 5th December 2013, 06:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Compact design for the W6-1139:

Cerberus
That's literally the worst subwoofer design I've ever seen. The 1.5 inch port is way too small and causes massive turbulence and chuffing problems.

This Cerberus design is popular on the Parts Express forum but everyone that builds it complains of extraordinarily bad chuffing issues. A bunch of people build it with a 2 inch port (with a longer length to maintain the same tuning) but it still has terrible chuffing.

As I mentioned, even a 3 inch port isn't really big enough.
Old 5th December 2013, 07:28 PM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

just a guy,

Googled port TB-1169, cerberus, and port chuffing - the link below from a PE forum discussion indicates that the design has its limitations, but "everyone who builds it complains about extraordinarily bad chuffing issues" is not the case...

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ite-version%29

I am sure there are other threads too, so please feel free to share.

Also came across a post by you on this thread where you are probably referring to the same design? (post #7)

Port calculations?

I do not want to defend the design or the designer, but do not see any proof that the port issues are overwhelming; Btw, I knocked together a box last year with the 1.5" port - not that I am an expert in anyway, but did not experience issues.

Last edited by zman01; 5th December 2013 at 07:31 PM.

box for Tang Band W6-1139SIFHide this!Advertise here!