Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

box for Tang Band W6-1139SIF
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2017, 08:01 PM   #21
grahamgraham is offline grahamgraham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think the problem is that people want this driver to live up to the legend but without the costs.

It's a great sub and what I've learned from owning the 5.25" and 6.5" is that they are great for small applications and ones that can accommodate trade-offs.

If chuffing is an issue then you are driving it beyond what is reasonable given size restraints, ergo, buy a different sub, build a bigger cab, do it how it should be done for the requirements.

I like these drivers because they do provide a bit of a challenge, even though I'm a beginner. I've learned a lot of pitfall mistakes from these smaller drivers that if I master now, when I translate to larger projects I will understand the fundamentals of space restraints and physics.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:09 AM   #22
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamgraham View Post
If 30% of the port is removed after construction and gives that 30% back to the cabinet volume, how do you account for that? Slot ports are voluminous.
Note that it has a huge end correction, so has a much longer acoustic length, ergo quite a bit more voluminous than just the shelf volume.

GM

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st December 2017, 02:39 PM   #23
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Chris,

The web page says 6.5" driver for he Cerebrus:

Cerberus
Yep, my mistake. I was thinking of the other one and thought it had that name.

Happy New Year,

Chris
Old 31st December 2017, 03:27 PM   #24
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris and wishing you and everyone on diyAudio Happy New Year!
Old 2nd January 2018, 09:31 AM   #25
Nenola is offline Nenola  Finland
diyAudio Member

I'm glad that this thread got an update. I was going to make a small cylinder-shaped box for this and go ported with a regular round port. The simulations showed that with little power I could go with the 2" port, but when the driver really starts to move, the air velocity will become an issue.

If I had the extra space, I would go with this design: http://volvotreter.de/downloads/Tang...z_TH_Rev_1.pdf

But this is going to my office and needs to be as small as possible, so I'll probably get the kit with passive radiators. It only costs 10€ more than the driver itself and I can build a compact 10 liter enclosure

PR14-C - 6.5" Subwoofer Bundle - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:29 PM   #26
nihtila is offline nihtila  Finland
diyAudio Member

I am also thinking of building a desktop "subwoofer", or actually two - small bass stands for my desktop monitors. If any design seem to work out well.

Based on my initial investigation PR14-C bundle is also an option. However, as I already have miniDSP in my desktop setup, I was wondering if this driver or some other model would be suitable for sealed cabinet and Linkwitz transform? Any ideas?

I have 2x UcD180 amp unused so I could get decent amount of power as well if any of these small drivers can handle it. Anyway, sound levels are low so I could try to extend the lower end response a bit.
Old 5th January 2018, 07:29 AM   #27
grahamgraham is offline grahamgraham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It just so happens that I am building two sealed cabs for my two drivers today. A 7litre box, I'll keep you updated on my findings. I am hoping that room gain will make up for the roll off as my listening room is rather wild in its modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihtila View Post
I am also thinking of building a desktop "subwoofer", or actually two - small bass stands for my desktop monitors. If any design seem to work out well.

Based on my initial investigation PR14-C bundle is also an option. However, as I already have miniDSP in my desktop setup, I was wondering if this driver or some other model would be suitable for sealed cabinet and Linkwitz transform? Any ideas?

I have 2x UcD180 amp unused so I could get decent amount of power as well if any of these small drivers can handle it. Anyway, sound levels are low so I could try to extend the lower end response a bit.
Old 5th January 2018, 07:59 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Great, looking forward to your results.

These stands would be under my Genelec 8020s, behind computer monitors. Height around 45cm and footprint somewhere 20x20cm max ballpark, and firing to the sides (as monitors would be in front of them).

Makes me still wonder whether these would give enough improvement. I could maybe squeeze in 8" drivers as well if something would work in that small box, and boost it with DSP again.
Old 5th January 2018, 08:40 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I think I will stick to these Tang Bands as they seem to be very versatile, folks have built all kinds of boxes - if this does not work out. Will need to try to simulate a sealed box first and estimate the LT effects, or can the sim tools do that? I have not simulated subs in many many years! Been just on electronics. The whole idea arose as I need new higher stands for my Genelecs due to smaller tabletop and speakers staying behind screens.

grahamgraham, did you find a UK dealer for Tang Bands? Quick search doesn't show any luck. blue planet acoustic in Germany is an option.
Old 5th January 2018, 06:12 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Ok, I did my 2-hour self-learning subwoofer design course and here are the first results. So bear with me and please point out if I have missed something

Idea is Linkwitz transformed sealed box. I chose 8.5 litres as it seems good size for my dimensions and enlarging from here doesn't really give much anymore in terms of lower end SPL.

1st image shows this starting point, 8.5 l sealed box. As can be seen, we are 10dB down at 35 Hz.

2: 35 Hz LT added. So we are boosting 10dB at 35 Hz and so also losing 10 dB of SPL, right?

3. SPL at 10 W, meaning at 35 Hz it is already 100 W. So kind of maximum SPL?

4. Cone excursion at 10 W. Still within limits. And I would use subsonic as well.

So this would give 92 dB which is plenty in a small room in near field. 35 Hz plus room should give some extra reach. This is of course simulation but I would also have two of these so that means more headroom.
Attached Images
File Type: png 8L5_magnitude.png (44.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: png 8L5_LT35Hz_magnitude.png (46.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: png 8L5_LT35Hz_SPL10W.png (43.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: png 8L5_LT35Hz_ConeExc10W.png (42.6 KB, 97 views)

box for Tang Band W6-1139SIFHide this!Advertise here!