Sub Woofer Controller?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can't see to find a sub controller; the HT processor has a low level sub out, 40hz and 80hz and nothing in between. There is a straight though setting "none".
The tall white box (1 of 2) was starting to sound sound impressive at 40hz setting, but really think 50hz - 60hz would be better.
Never had any luck with the 80hz settings, just a thick sounding bassy mess and overlap.
The front three are also set at 40hz, but they only go down to 50hz.

Options:
1) find mini sub controller
2) D Amp with xo built in
3) re-build the sub boxes - i.e. they are not tuned very low, mid 30s.

[the extra tweeter in white boxes is not connected]

Attachments

• Sub Help.JPG
    Sub Help.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Thanks Richie....now I'll need someone to build it. (but cool site)
So bad memory strikes again; found DIY sub controller [LT1007 Op amps] in the bottom of some storage boxes, set at a 100hz with a 6db slope, I wonder if it can be modified to 50hz, 60hz and steeper slope?

Funny, seems to be a market for such a thing; I did find the Rolls SX21.

Maybe I should head over to the analog pages?

Attachments

• 555.jpg
    555.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 215
"Can't see to find a sub controller ...Options: find mini sub controller..."

Hi ODougbo,

I recently built an "Ad-on", high output subwoofer system for my suv. Like you, I needed a "configurable" parametric equalizer, one that would allow me to decide how many "control bands" would be available, and at what frequency. I also have very little room in the truck to spare as it was my choice to have the dashboard remain stock (unaltered).

My solution to the problem... "miniDSP in-a-box". With it, I was able to utilize as many bands of frequency control as needed for the perfect "room correction tool". Should you decide to consider the miniDSP solution (2x4 w/ 2.1 Advanced plug-in), you'll have a left & right "input" parametric eq, each having 6 "configurable" bands of control.

And then, 4 more parametric equalizers (with again, 6 bands each) on the output stage. Additionally, you have four channels of "configurable" X-overs, each with a high and low pass filter setting; see the link: www.minidsp.com/products/plugins Hope this helps,

rigtec, best regards

Last edited:
I forgot to mention'

The miniDSP kit is compiled of two components: The actual "circuit board" which is contained in a small (3" x 3" x 1.25") metal case, and the "Plug-in" which is the software (firmware). You first must choose the hardware/software set-up that soots your particular task; in your case, the 2 x 4 platform (two inputs, four outputs) will likely meet the required criteria as a designated low freq correction tool.

Next, the "Plug-in". This is the software that's used to drive the equipment. Again, in your case I think the "2.1 advanced plug-in" firmware (2 way + sub) cross-over would be the way to go. This is a very affordable solution to having a configurable equalizer and x-over; and it's simple. I think I paid... $80 bucks for the 2 x 4 platform (hardware), and $10 more for the "2.1 advanced 2way plug-in" download. Here's a link to the "User manual" (pdf) http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief-MiniDSP.pdf

What I really like about this program is, all of your sound adjustments are made on a laptop. They can be made "in real time" as in, while listening to the audio system and making the needed adjustments or, While lounging in the den or your bedroom. So in that case you'd make some changes to the "On-screen" parameters (Graphs), and then apply (upload) them to the system at a later time. Well, whatever you decide to do... enjoy!

Cheers!

Never though of that, I was considering a miniDSP; going back to the original intent: pair of 2.5 mtmmm's,
Had an passive xo for them, however the middle was weak - but impressive bass and had potential. So thinking it won't hurt to break them in for now, and better than storing them in boxes.

How hard are they to set up on the computer, on a scale 1 - 10?
What's the price range on a miniDSP?

How hard are they to set up on the computer, on a scale 1 - 10? What's the price range on a miniDSP?

Hi ODougbo'

If you can adjust the bass, mids, and treble on a stereo, "you're a pro"! Setting up and watching my subwoofer system take on a whole new shape or personality was great. For quite some time, I had been searching for a "parametric" equalizer on the internet, that had at least 3 or 4 freq bands that focused on the low-end (maybe 30hz thru 80hz), but no one seemed to make one.

I did see some nice 31 band, one third octave devices, but they required 120 volt power supply and... they were much too large; no good for a "mobile audio" application. But now, not only had I found an equalizer for my subs', with miniDSP, I can assign as many frequency bands as I need, and the frequency at which to apply the gain! Right now, I've got it set up this way: 25hz, 31hz, 42hz, 56hz, 64hz, and 80hz. You can also set the "Q" as wide or narrow as you like!

Price... not at all unreasonable. $80.00 (+S&H) for the platform (circuit board) in a box, and $10.00 for a "Plug-in" (software), downloadable from the website. MiniDSP 2x4 | MiniDSP And here's a link to their "forum" (for newbies); MiniDSP :: Topics in miniDSP for newbies (1/25), very helpful when just getting started! :trapper: Hope this will be helpful,

rigtec, cheers

Thanks rightec, been thinking about looking into that and thought they were in the $100 range (only).
I did make a small change that helped a lot, just switched the woofer leads :eek:
the subs are now chugging along and the sytem as a whole sounds better.
I have other "tower subs", had them hooked up + + but these are working much better +- (reverse). 40hz is not all bad if there is lots of power, apparently.

Still have tower subs from about a year ago, and some new ides.....more to come.
Thanks again!

Nice to know the white boxes really do "work" and can crank out the bass.
(I've been turning amp output back down at this point)
They are double chamber (top/bottom) and hopefully someday will find a way to setup the MTM top, then add in the lower section, probably a three way setup - vs. 2.5.

Worlds Best $64 Sub-Woofer

So here's a plan............

Take two, double, single/fold speakers and bolt them together (4 cells/8 speakers)
Will remove the "Ys" and make up double sized floor stand-offs :D

The boxes were made at different times, but are lining up pretty good. Never used one of them, just been sitting around.

Attachments

• 0094.JPG
    0094.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.