Need help with room design for low bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2013, 08:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with room design for low bass

Hi everyone.

I love low bass. And I mean really low, down to 24-22 Hz, so I built subwoofer 2 years ago that can play that low. I made it for my car, but since I need space in trunk I started using it in home, and found some problems.
In first house I lived (rented) sound was perfect. Two towers play all the sound except below 50Hz. That is where sub takes over. But it never reproduced lowest notes that you can hear them. When room doors are open, every single door and window wants to break of and jump out of the wall, and there was a lot of them, but even out of listening room, there was no audible low bass.

Then I moved to place where I live now until my house is built. This room is bigger than last, but has less bass. In this room bass cuts off at 40-45 Hz, but in the rest of the house, with doors closed or open, you can't breathe how hard it hits. It's the same setup, amplifiers and speakers, but bass is gone.

The real thing is this. In few months I will start building my house. Plans are in finishing stage, but still changeable. I need advice how to build my living room to support low bass in it (size, shape, how to organize it), not everywhere else. Is there any site with diagrams or something that can help me with that, or does some of you know answers?
Setup is for music and movies.
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
scholl is offline scholl  United States
diyAudio Member

Set yourself up for infinite baffle where you can load the backwave into the basement or utility room. Look at the partsexpress 18s to run 2 pair in push pull slot load with a dedicated amp channel per woofer 250watts each. Add a little EQ and you got it.
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
scholl is offline scholl  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, check you phase on the existing system, something maybe wired wrong.
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTorch View Post
I need advice how to build my living room to support low bass in it (size, shape, how to organize it), not everywhere else. Is there any site with diagrams or something that can help me with that, or does some of you know answers?
Your problems are likely caused by room modes.
Calculators are available on line, you can enter the dimensions of your previous room that worked, and the present problematic room.

Moving your subs to different positions may help even out the response.

Google "studio and control room design" for information about proper design of rooms for sound.
There have been many books written about room design for sound, Handbook for Sound Engineers, The New Audio Cyclopedia edited by Glen Ballou has several chapters on the subject.
I have the second edition, from 1991, there was a new edition released within the last few years.

The graph below will help design a good sounding room, I used it when building my home studio and control room. Both are relatively small, but support LF to 20 Hz and below.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimum Room Shapes.jpg (477.8 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by weltersys; 23rd November 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:42 PM   #5
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

BassThatHz Theater Build

also, comparing performance in car to performanc in room is just not fair. you could easily get said performance in a room the size of your car, made out of cinderblocks though
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I wanted to do exactly that, infinite baffle to basement, but that is not possible because I will be on first floor, and one apartment is below and under it is garage, workshop and rest.

It has to be standard room with 4 walls (it will be living room) just need to calculate dimensions and placement inside for best sound, within my possibilities.

Speakers are in phase, everything is wired correctly. I even tried different positions. But all bass is outside of my room.
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTorch View Post
Speakers are in phase, everything is wired correctly. I even tried different positions. But all bass is outside of my room.
Try putting the subs outside of your listening room where the bass is presently the strongest, you may find that low bass will then be heard in your listening room.
Old 24th November 2013, 09:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am new here and never used forums, so is there a way to quote from multiple posts at the same time?

Thanks for the info weltersys, I'll google that and see about the book. I'll try and put subwoofer in other room like you said, but it's not important how it sounds now, important is to build house with living room that supports sound from lowest to highest notes. Then, when I have right volume and shape it will be easy to finish it with bass traps and other acoustic treatments.

sine143 I know it's not fair to compare bass in car and in room, but when I built the box at friends workshop, he connected it to his cars amp and bass broke the largest window he had there(it was really big window with 3 or 4mm glass, but still). But his shop is big as half of my future house and I can't afford that big living/listening room.
Old 28th November 2013, 06:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I second weltersys' post for good sources.

And how about this:
Building a Recording Studio, 4th Edition: Jeff Cooper: 9780916899004: Amazon.com: Books
and various other matches.

I think a main point is to build the walls with offset studs, and also have the room really seal. Thick, isolating doors. In other words, so the bass can't "escape" as it is doing now. If the room is rectangular, you can use software to predict the room modes.
Old 28th November 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well... a room...what about the walls ?
Shape, form, material ? Very thick concrete walls ? Double-triple layered ?
As the walls are not super solid, they deform ( yes, they do ) and absorb energy. If you don't want to lose acoustic energy, make indeformable walls

Hide this!Advertise here!