Tempest Sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2002, 06:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to itzvic
Thumbs up Tempest Sub

I am just posting because I wanted to thank everyone for all of thier posts and helpful information. I recently finished building my Tempest 15 home audio sub and it sounds great. I had trouble picking out a driver and enclosure, but you guys lead me in the right direction. I simply used adire audio's reference disign for a mid Q sealed box, and it sounds amazing. I am no audiophile or anything, but the bass is strong and very tight. I power it with my mackie 1400i, and with 1400 watts rms on hand I am impressed by the SPLs coming out of that thing. I wish it would hit the lower frequencies a lil stronger, but its only a sealed 15, and what it does is more then enough. I was going to use a sonotube, but at 18$ a sheet, 3/4 mdf was perfect. (if only i had a better router!) I recommend this to anyone if they are looking for an easy high quality sub project, for cheap. Once again, thanks everyone!
-ViC
Old 24th February 2002, 06:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Talking hey

with 1400WRMS I hope you are happy with the SPL, quick calculations suggest SPL levels of over 120dB
Old 25th February 2002, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah its awesome, i keep my amp set pretty low. Better to work it lightly bridged, then to kill it on one channel. Least I would assume some...
Old 25th February 2002, 03:02 AM   #4
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

hey, post a link to your finished sub if you can.

i made a tempest sealed sub, probably similar to yours a while back. simple, elegant, and very musical (whatever that means )

my q=0.65 theoretical so we're in the same league.
i agree that the spl's in the 10-30 range aren't uber-phenomenal-for HT i suppose some sort of ported alignment might have gotten a bit more low end, but, hey, compared with the average midfi ported solution, we're way, way ahead.

1400 watts, unfortunately, is overkill. i believe that 250-300 watts will max a single tempest in a volume of160 liters or so. (don't get me wrong-but 200 watts bridged seems more than adequate for me!!!)
Old 25th February 2002, 03:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

heh i know its overkill... but i take care not to over drive it. i just have the amp bridged untill i can get myself around to building another one. then ill just run them stereo off the amp. as far as pictures and what not, i have none. the sub is still unfinished. My roommate just put his old lion king sheets over it, and made it into a funny conversation piece. I really dont care what it looks like, and quite frankly im a fan of simba, so i am happy with it for the time being.
Old 25th February 2002, 08:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Hi..

You must be happy for new baby.

I am Korean dealer of AdireAudio, I like sub woofers very much.

I am planning to build biggest (340 L?) Tempest sub with 2 ea of PR-15X.

This design is not finished, but the CD rack in the middle would survive.

http://www.diyanything.com/Study/TempestPR340l.htm

Sorry for all Korean.. ^ ^

Cheers..

Hide this!Advertise here!