subwoofer project challenge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a little project I'm trying to tackle... integrating a subwoofer invisibly into my tiny "cape cod" living room.

I have a fake fireplace situated between two large speakers, sitting on a platform... beneath a shelf on which I have my TV. My surround components are in another room.

I would like to turn the platform into a subwoofer for the surround system. The platform is 72" long X 24" deep and 3 1/2" high. It has a 1/4" air gap all the way around and sits on a hardwood floor. The space I have to place the woofer, firing down into the platform, is 18" X 21 1/4" between 2 Infinity 1001 loudspeakers, that I've had since the mid '70's (reconed several times).

How high should the enclosure be that covers the woofer to get a resonable base response (I would like to hear a strong 32 HZ organ note)? Should it be sealed or ported?

specs for the woofer are: freq. 19-5K; QTS-0.25;QMS - 4.37; QES -0.27; VAS 11.91

Am I stoned, or should I be?

Thanks for any input.....

Chuck (who really has no business trying to do this)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.