crazy me, 3rd subwoofer,,want a proven design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2013, 08:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default crazy me, 3rd subwoofer,,want a proven design

for my home audio,so I have 2 12" ultimax in sealed 2.0 enclosures,,2 bash 500 amps. They sound great,,loud and punchy and clean. I would now like to add a third sub to my system,,something that is gonna handle the low,low end. I believe I am capable of designing a vented enclosure for any driver I decide is in my price range. I am very interested in a tapped or folded horn design. From what I've read, it seems that it is said that these types of enclosure will do the trick for low end that I seek. I have looked at hornresp,,and I am a bit intimidated by making my own design. I was hoping for some sort of guidance on the matter. I have seen a couple "proven" designs. am I out of my league for wanting to make my own design?
I know I am crazy for building a 3rd anyway,,some might think " why is this guy spending all of this money on all of these speakers,,why didn't he just build the perfect sub to begin with?,good question,,,who knows. I am a fool I guess,,but I love the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished.jpg (670.9 KB, 388 views)
Old 26th October 2013, 08:57 PM   #2
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you want some crazy low end then look at the DIY ported Re XXX build Josh Ricci built on data-bass:
Data-Bass

Quote:
This is the first system tested by Data-Bass to provide in excess of 100dB at 10Hz at 2 meters outdoors. A simply massive 114dB was recorded at 12.5Hz under the same conditions which further confirms the visceral room shaking power this system possesses once inside of a typical room.
Old 26th October 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

holy crap! While that looks like it would do the trick,,It is a bit much in terms of size and build complexity. I appreciate the link,,I'll put it on my list of things to do when my income and available time becomes more limitless.
Old 27th October 2013, 01:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

And what about linkwitz transform on this two subs?

ESP - The Linkwitz Transform Circuit
Old 27th October 2013, 02:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockironwebb View Post
for my home audio,so I have 2 12" ultimax in sealed 2.0 enclosures,
(...) I am very interested in a tapped or folded horn design. From what I've read, it seems that it is said that these types of enclosure will do the trick for low end that I seek.
NOT () a good idea!
From your text you are not looking for the right thing. In the meantime I second you with your project upgrade of drivers/setup you already have with a third. As previous post says about the EQ of your subs maybe something that has escape you... Also nice sub XXX Ported project. For your new project, another design, not the TH, might fulfill your wishes. Let's see why or what a TH does not, only does for SPL. You might express here also if you are going to use it for PA (not home audio) together with your home environment.

1. Look at Danley TH118 specifications, for example, and tell me if that's what you are looking for: F3-40 Hz, F10-28 Hz (???)
TH118 | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
2. What's the actual volume (net) of each of your Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Ultimax subs?
3. What's the volume/footprint you are willing to use as for your practical project?
Taking the aforementioned with your responses, members will access more easily your sub project needs.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Agree. TH is not your answer.

From the picture, it seems like a narrow space, maybe small in area too?

I'd first start working on the ambient, take measure of everything.

There's a thread on multiple subs by Geddes, amazing work being done there, check it out.
Sometimes a bass trap, right EQ (Linkwitz Transform on the subs, for instance) and moving the subs across the room will do the trick.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:38 AM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

What is your low freq (-3dB) that you want, at what efficiency for 1 watt 1 meter, and what is max size constraint in floor footprint and volume? Also what is max SPL you want?
Old 27th October 2013, 07:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

thanks for the replies so far. net volume of the ultimax 12's is 2 cubic foot, 1 lb of polyfill,,,very near exact as I fiddled with the design for a while trying to hit the 2 cubic foot mark. The area in the photo is full,,I felt lucky to be able to end up placing these subs here in the front,,I did as i had read about and placed them in the listening area and moved around the room,,the sound was as good up front as it was anywhere,,wife was very happy to have the clean look up front. I have options for the rear of the room,,,which is 20X15. footprint could be 30-36 inches deep or wide and up to ceiling I suppose,(pending wife review) Music and movies as well as digital audio production (ableton) is what I use my system for,,a mix of all. When I say i want low,,I guess I mean to cover what the ultimax subs don't. Not having test equipment,,I am still able to play with frequency tones withing my digital audio workstation (ableton) and it seems that at 50 Htz the output begins to drop off,,not horrible,,but enough to make me feel that I am justified to build another sub. to accompany, as well as pick up where the sealed enclosures leave off., for max spl,,as max as possible of course. I have 7 tri trix, 2 vented mains and 5 sealed for center and surround,,I can turn it up till it is painful and not have distortion. I want my subs to be able to compliment my highs and mid at all levels. For budget,,$400ish,,less if possible,,not including mdf and finish. I will probably go with another plate amp. I tried the pro amp route and did not care for it at this point in my hobby. I'm wondering if a 15" in a large vented box would be fine for what I am after,,without having to fuss with a complex design and build.
Old 27th October 2013, 07:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

the rear of the room
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (572.4 KB, 307 views)
Old 27th October 2013, 02:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

here is the current plot for the 2 ultimax subs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ultimax plot.JPG (138.3 KB, 264 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!