crazy me, 3rd subwoofer,,want a proven design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for my home audio,so I have 2 12" ultimax in sealed 2.0 enclosures,,2 bash 500 amps. They sound great,,loud and punchy and clean. I would now like to add a third sub to my system,,something that is gonna handle the low,low end. I believe I am capable of designing a vented enclosure for any driver I decide is in my price range. I am very interested in a tapped or folded horn design. From what I've read, it seems that it is said that these types of enclosure will do the trick for low end that I seek. I have looked at hornresp,,and I am a bit intimidated by making my own design. I was hoping for some sort of guidance on the matter. I have seen a couple "proven" designs. am I out of my league for wanting to make my own design?
I know I am crazy for building a 3rd anyway,,some might think " why is this guy spending all of this money on all of these speakers,,why didn't he just build the perfect sub to begin with?,good question,,,who knows. I am a fool I guess,,but I love the process.

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 447
If you want some crazy low end then look at the DIY ported Re XXX build Josh Ricci built on data-bass:
Data-Bass

This is the first system tested by Data-Bass to provide in excess of 100dB at 10Hz at 2 meters outdoors. A simply massive 114dB was recorded at 12.5Hz under the same conditions which further confirms the visceral room shaking power this system possesses once inside of a typical room.

for my home audio,so I have 2 12" ultimax in sealed 2.0 enclosures,
(...) I am very interested in a tapped or folded horn design. From what I've read, it seems that it is said that these types of enclosure will do the trick for low end that I seek.
NOT () a good idea!
From your text you are not looking for the right thing. In the meantime I second you with your project upgrade of drivers/setup you already have with a third. As previous post says about the EQ of your subs maybe something that has escape you... Also nice sub XXX Ported project. For your new project, another design, not the TH, might fulfill your wishes. Let's see why or what a TH does not, only does for SPL. You might express here also if you are going to use it for PA (not home audio) :confused: together with your home environment.

1. Look at Danley TH118 specifications, for example, and tell me if that's what you are looking for: F3-40 Hz, F10-28 Hz (???)
TH118 | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
2. What's the actual volume (net) of each of your Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Ultimax subs?
3. What's the volume/footprint you are willing to use as for your practical project?
Taking the aforementioned with your responses, members will access more easily your sub project needs.

Agree. TH is not your answer.

From the picture, it seems like a narrow space, maybe small in area too?

I'd first start working on the ambient, take measure of everything.

There's a thread on multiple subs by Geddes, amazing work being done there, check it out.
Sometimes a bass trap, right EQ (Linkwitz Transform on the subs, for instance) and moving the subs across the room will do the trick.

thanks for the replies so far. net volume of the ultimax 12's is 2 cubic foot, 1 lb of polyfill,,,very near exact as I fiddled with the design for a while trying to hit the 2 cubic foot mark. The area in the photo is full,,I felt lucky to be able to end up placing these subs here in the front,,I did as i had read about and placed them in the listening area and moved around the room,,the sound was as good up front as it was anywhere,,wife was very happy to have the clean look up front. I have options for the rear of the room,,,which is 20X15. footprint could be 30-36 inches deep or wide and up to ceiling I suppose,(pending wife review) Music and movies as well as digital audio production (ableton) is what I use my system for,,a mix of all. When I say i want low,,I guess I mean to cover what the ultimax subs don't. Not having test equipment,,I am still able to play with frequency tones withing my digital audio workstation (ableton) and it seems that at 50 Htz the output begins to drop off,,not horrible,,but enough to make me feel that I am justified to build another sub. to accompany, as well as pick up where the sealed enclosures leave off., for max spl,,as max as possible of course. I have 7 tri trix, 2 vented mains and 5 sealed for center and surround,,I can turn it up till it is painful and not have distortion. I want my subs to be able to compliment my highs and mid at all levels. For budget,,$400ish,,less if possible,,not including mdf and finish. I will probably go with another plate amp. I tried the pro amp route and did not care for it at this point in my hobby. I'm wondering if a 15" in a large vented box would be fine for what I am after,,without having to fuss with a complex design and build.

You could firstly work on a LT-filter, it's cheaper, but the SPL will be limited to the drivers' Xmax, that can be simulated on Unibox.

If not satisfied, then a 3rd subwoofer is the way to go.
12" Ultimax is an excellent driver, I'd stick to it, and having a vented box with it.
Be prepared, you will need volume to reach the shaking bass, that's the trade-off. I'm talking about 7 cu.ft. here, so start working on camouflage plans, under the couch, a footstool. But gives you steady bass until 18hz.

Another option a bandpass enclosure, it will be half the volume, but it won't give that much low fb. (21hz).

cheers

Thanks bjorno. would that be for 2 drivers? I am leaning towards the ultimax (again),,,I am also leaning towards a large vented box as well now. My wife is very supportive to a point. She asked that the enclosure not "tower" over us. Perhaps a 15" ultimax in a vented box, although my price for power may go up then.

Room modes with subs can work for and against you when it comes to getting the most out of what you already have. IMHO, before investing a third sub, you might try moving your existing two subs to different positions in the room. You may be amazed at the difference it could make at your main listening position.

I was trying different placements this morning and while i did find a couple that seemed slightly better (not much),,they did not appeal to the wife at all. I like the idea of the LT filter,,but that is a completely new concept to me. If adding such a device, would it be possible to set it up as to switch on or off? I also like the idea of having versatility,,3 subs all independently controlled may be useful for something. When I am making music I sometimes lower or even shut off the subs.

If adding such a device, would it be possible to set it up as to switch on or off?

The MiniDSP uses a usb interface to software you install and is pretty easy to use, once the bi-quad filter is entered you can press a bypass button in the interface to do an A/B comparison. I'd probably go with this plug-in 4way advanced if you are using a single SUB output from your receiver, then you have 4 outputs that you can program and go crazy with LT, PEQ etc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.