18SW100 noise - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2013, 04:05 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRESCENDO View Post
(...)
If there were 5 clip lights on a DJM-800, some "talent" still wouldn't have trouble lighting em all up
Sorry, it doesn't tell me anything about the amp used...
sine143 previous post plays in your favor, if it applies.
Note that excursion also gets out of control at 20-25Hz, the cone exiting the gap, it all depends in the alignment and net volume you have, and protection... and I do not say more cause I don't know the conditions of your system and knowledge you have, if a mistake like that (in design/LF protection) was committed or not.
Old 26th October 2013, 02:17 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I believe that the drivers are in TH-18's..
Old 18th December 2013, 11:18 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Guess I wasn't getting these updates. Sorry for the delay.

The sub still chugs along. We don't use it often, but there have been maybe 2 or 3 shows since posting this that it has performed at (at a lower drive level than normal). So far, so good.

Thanks for the warranty post. Had me looking a bit further to find B&C's Warranty Ruturn Guide.pdf

How likely is it that:
-the voice coil is rubbing the gap's surface, or
-there's blistering on the former facing the winding?

Both of these (and more) are covered under their warranty terms.
Old 18th December 2013, 03:03 PM   #14
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

it looks like a bild up heat spot,wich causes a loose wire or a blister.
wouldn't hurt to try to get warrenty.
if not ,try the things art sugested.
if al fails recone it.]
Quote:
I've come back to a heavily limiting amp rack (heavy limiting creates a lot of heat in the vc)
what you need is a rms limiter,it measures/calculates the power long therm ,and limit accordingly.
Old 18th December 2013, 09:39 PM   #15
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

Judging by their list of covered stuff, i say you are due for a warranty repair. It mentions buzzing with sine signal multiple place, as well as blistered former As covered
Old 19th December 2013, 04:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yeah, sounds like a plan. If not, for whatever reason, I'll have chucked quite a bit of cash towards shipping charges. Let's see how it goes *crosses fingers*
Old 19th December 2013, 05:37 PM   #17
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

I know the 18sw100 is pretty heavy... but surely you can get a reasonable rate?

when I shipped a 3015lf off for repair (in an 18x18x14 box as well), it shipped ups for about 10 dollars (it weighs 9 lbs). should be able to ship the18sw100 for about 25.
Old 23rd December 2013, 01:57 AM   #18
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

as long as you can see the top plate at the pole piece/gap junction, shouldn't be that difficult to recone it by centering the voice coil over the top plate. I would just worry about getting the proper spider with that silicone addition to it, and using the right adhesive at the spider-to-basket circumference.
Old 23rd December 2013, 03:53 PM   #19
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

"Getting the proper spider"??? I don't know about you guys, but with a speaker of this kind of quality it would be really difficult to maintain this quality piecing together all the individual parts without factory tooling. I wouldn't even TRY to recone a B&C sub without a complete recone kit with the VC, spiders, and cone pre-assembled and properly aligned. Unless of course you are willing to risk having the unit fail again after one teensy mistake that seems insignificant at the time and didn't hurt anything on the last 300W Eminence you did.
Old 23rd December 2013, 07:32 PM   #20
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes that speaker has a special spider in the sense that it is doped with a certain amount of silicone. Its not a typical poly cotton/homes spider. Hence why it is very important. I would not hesitate reconing something like this so long as all the proper parts are included in the kit.

Hide this!Advertise here!