Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
sine143 is online now sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

we also have to consider the extremely low price of the lab 12. for that it gets applause. I've no doubt that an order of 50 with whatever changes we see fit will end up costin more per each driver than the retail price of the lab12 currently.
Old 22nd October 2013, 06:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
we also have to consider the extremely low price of the lab 12. for that it gets applause. I've no doubt that an order of 50 with whatever changes we see fit will end up costin more per each driver than the retail price of the lab12 currently.
I totally agree with you on that.
An upgradation to a newer 3" coil will also cost more.
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:27 PM   #13
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDEWINDER 18X View Post
Similar rated and coil sized drivers with round wires are built with much lesser gap width than Eminence and are not Chinese. eg: RCF, 18Sound, Celestion, Meyer Sound/ Ciare and many others. And their faliure rate is lesser than Eminence.
But there certainly are cheapo drivers out there with much bigger gaps (typically Chinese) that make Eminence look like precision machines. It can get worse. And of course it can get better - that's why you pay $400-600 for a driver.

I haven't had a lot of Eminence failures. I've had them so hot you can smell it 10 feet away without failure, but by then they're 10dB down. If you did THAT with a tight tolerance gap you'd be scraping the coil against the pole piece and have a ruined driver.
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:08 AM   #14
JLH is offline JLH  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want an upgrade switch to the Ciare 12.00SW that has a 4" voice coil. Of course the T/S on the Ciare are totally different than a Lab12, but so would be a 3" voice coil Lab12.
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:02 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Design subs that have proper driver cooling and you don't need a giant voice coil.
That's not what we're talking about here. My PAL12 has the magnet directly exposed to ambient air. That's not the issue.
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_ski View Post

It would be interesting to see the result of a Lab12-form-factor driver with a more modern motor, and see if a pair ends up more useful than a single 18 of equivalent Sd.
Exactly. We would be targeting the driver that is in the Danley cabinets. He is using custom eminence 12" drivers, cone appears the same as well as basket. But with a 3" motor.

This is the whole reason I brought this up in another thread.
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
That's not what we're talking about here. My PAL12 has the magnet directly exposed to ambient air. That's not the issue.
Why else would you need a larger voice coil - for heavily loaded designs that are low excursion and have poor cooling, like the lab-sub? Most modern designs have good woofer cooling.
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:41 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Power compression happens even on a design with great cooling and a large VC. You just want to minimize it.
More surface area will be a good thing; hence the desire for a good small driver such as the LAB12 with a larger VC.

Danley saw a need to upgrade from the factory lab 12. I figured if there was enough interest here we could get a group buy and benefit from this. I figure at around $200 the 3" LAB12 wouldn't be a bad deal at all.

Last edited by m R g S r; 23rd October 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 23rd October 2013, 03:24 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
If you want an upgrade switch to the Ciare 12.00SW that has a 4" voice coil. Of course the T/S on the Ciare are totally different than a Lab12, but so would be a 3" voice coil Lab12.
There's also the b&c with a huge voice coil used in the TH-mini (12tbx100...4" VC) This would just be another option at a good price.
Old 23rd October 2013, 03:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
There's also the b&c with a huge voice coil used in the TH-mini (12tbx100...4" VC) This would just be another option at a good price.
I dunno, but there's something about those big-coil subs that makes them sound different, in a better way. The old 1200GTi for example, also equipped with a 4" coil, remains one of my favourite subwoofer drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!