How to fold a Horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2013, 01:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to fold a Horn

Iám learning to fold some tapped horns, but before i can finish a folded horn i have to figure out which "fold-style" i have to use.

i found out how to fold horns in google sketch up, just make a 2D modell and just fold it, but its not easy to fold it cause some styles work and some not.

I am trying double fold, keystone and to fold it like the MTH30 and some own ideas.

My question is, if its possible to figure out which "fold style" to use before i start modeling in sketch up. Is there a way to calculate this, or can somebody tell me how to know the "folding-style" before doing all the work?
Old 19th October 2013, 09:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wBorchers View Post
I am trying double fold, keystone and to fold it like the MTH30 and some own ideas.

My question is, if its possible to figure out which "fold style" to use before i start modeling in sketch up. Is there a way to calculate this, or can somebody tell me how to know the "folding-style" before doing all the work?
The Keystone and the MTH30 are a very different shape, requiring different fold patterns to achieve the required horn path length.

After determining the horn volume, you need to decide the desired shape and dimensions that work for your applications.

I generally use truck box integers when designing cabinets for portable use.
Since most straight trucks in the USA have a clear 90 inch width (and usually height) integers are 45, 30, 22.5 and 15 inches.

Once the shape and volume are determined, draw out the straight horn on a piece of paper, cut and fold it so it fits in the shape you decided on.

Easy as that .
Old 20th October 2013, 04:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
I generally use truck box integers when designing cabinets for portable use. Since most straight trucks in the USA have a clear 90 inch width (and usually height) integers are 45, 30, 22.5 and 15 inches.
This is an excellent idea. Something I learnt AFTER building my POC#2, LOL. Now I'm designing POC #3 to be a bit more transport-friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Once the shape and volume are determined, draw out the straight horn on a piece of paper, cut and fold it so it fits in the shape you decided on.
...or if you're spreadsheet-savvy, you could do it in Excel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131019-poc3-1.jpg (321.3 KB, 295 views)
Old 21st October 2013, 02:15 AM   #4
sa155 is offline sa155  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
This is an excellent idea. Something I learnt AFTER building my POC#2, LOL. Now I'm designing POC #3 to be a bit more transport-friendly.

...or if you're spreadsheet-savvy, you could do it in Excel

Hi. Brian Steele
I'm interested fold a horn in excel
please share and recommend.
Thank you.
Old 21st October 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

first, flatten it...
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd October 2013, 04:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

omg, lolz!

Stupid, my favorite kind of humor!
Yamaha YST-MS201 computer speaker amp, JVC 3" fullrange drivers in open baffles, CSS 10" sub in 19l sealed enclosure, bluetooth dongle for wireless audio from android phone headphone out for hirez FLAC playback.
Old 25th October 2013, 02:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

+1

made my day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitSmasher View Post
first, flatten it...
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th October 2013, 08:49 AM   #8
more10 is offline more10  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Folding affects the horn response. You can include compensation for folding in your design. The swedish thread Spelglädje under 1000 Hz contains some expermentation data, run it through google translate.

Check out Martinssons designs, they are masterpieces of simplicity. They have only one really difficult angle to cut, the rest are 90, 60 or 45 degrees. You can easily build these with cheap tools. These tapped horns are intended for sound reinforcement.

Hide this!Advertise here!