I want to use a bad driver for a good subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It costs about 40$. And it this driver: DYG1240-62B made by Senon
12" inch diam
Magnet Volume=1184ml
Coil=2"
Power M=250W
Freq=35Hz-4.5KHz
Sensib=91dB
Imped=4ohm There is a picture attached. It dosen't have the T/S parameters but if I'll buy it I intend to determin them.
My question is: Should I buy this and try to build the subwoofer or not?
Did any of you used it or even heard about it?
Regards.

Attachments

• dyg%201240-62b%204ohm_s.jpeg
    dyg%201240-62b%204ohm_s.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 572
I said "about" because I am not very sure but this is what the guy said. The power rating I am sure that is wrong. In my opinion this driver won't reach 60 w rms before burning or worse breaking.
If the Qt is high can I do anything with this driver?
I don't intend geting lower then 50-40 hz. But I need to find a good way to make it sound as loud as posible and without high distorsions.
As you could guess I am newbee but I studied a bit before getting this crazy ideea and this because in Romania there are no audio diy shops and the cost for buying a decent driver on line would double or even triple.

I see basicly two options you have :

1) Get an available and affordable driver and look, how to use its parameters to the best.

2) Chosse a subwoofer system you like, do your simulations and then try to find (and get) the appropriate driver for it.

In Romania I would strongly recommend option 1)
If you have the complete parameter set it is always possible to find a decent subwoofer application for it. At least you will get a good value-for-money ratio.

And it will be a good starting point for your race from Loudspeaker newbie to expert :)

Rudolf

Stephen D

All the nfo specs you have stated as known for that driver are pretty nearly irrelevant. The T/S parameters are crucial for determining if the speaker is half way useful & what it's halfway useful for. Qt along with fs are about the most revealing. While high Qt is good for open back, if to high it can render a ported design horribly unfeasible. For ported you want to stay roughly below Qt of .45, generally best between .3 & .4. & if you want it loud, you want it ported.

Pioneer makes some very decent fairly high excursion 12" car audio spks with low Qt that can be found on the net for $40 to $65 but they don't publish T/S specs on the web. :xeye:
I have full T/S specs for their 12" dual 4 ohm voice coil TS-W305DVC 400/800 watt rms/peak that a kind gentleman in this forum posted here for me. It models pretty well & can be found for under $60.

red said:
About the magnet, well I found one that had a bigger magnet but smaller coil,should I pick this one.It, also cheaper and stiffer.

I don't know. you really need to know Fs, Vas, Qts and Xmax.
I'd guess probably not, for a subwoofer.

Dipoles and open baffles, for a subwoofer ?

Stephen D, you any idea how much Pioneer stuff costs in Romania ?

:) sreten.

Stephen D

sreten said:

Stephen D, you any idea how much Pioneer stuff costs in Romania ?

Not a clue. I just input Pioneer & whatever model number into google search engine & come up with pages of online distributors.
Maybe some sell to Rumania.

It really irritates me Pioneer doesn't publish the T/S parameters on the web. The 2 12" car audio subs of theirs that I have managed to obtain parameters for actually model pretty well for comparatively small ported cabinet use as music PA sound reinforcement sub at port tuning around 35-36 Hz (Not low enough for HT though). Low Qt in .3xx range, 8.4mm & 9.4 mm Xmax, decent efficiency & max SPL. All rare combinations for woofers double their price range. (The 12" I
spoke of lists for around $100 US but can generally be found in the price range I stated above).

I'd like to find specs on more of their woofers (Perhaps some 15") but it petty much requires nagging people on boards such as this for knowledge from someone that may have purchased them & have the spec sheet that came with it or perhaps finding an ... coughhh... ahem... open box in a store & peaking in at the spec sheet. :whazzat:

so

are you telling me parts express doesn't deliver to Romania I bet they do. I've never seen a "DIY audio shop" anywhere. You need to order off the web like everybody else, everywhere else does. I don't see how living in Romania makes any difference whatsoever. don't pay $40 for a sub you don't know the specs for. You can get a great sub for $40 wherever you live. You obviously have internet access and they do have mail service in Romania don't they.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Re: so

brsanko said:
are you telling me parts express doesn't deliver to Romania I bet they do.

brsanko:

I bet they do too, but by the time Red from Rumania gets done paying transportation, import fees, excise taxes and who knows what else, that $40 woofer will be up close to $100, if not over that.

Even DIYers from Western Europe have experiences similar to that-the price delivered to them from Parts Express and Madisound is way, way over what the price is here in America. :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

That is why he wants to take a chance on buying locally.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
red said:

If the Qt is high can I do anything with this driver?
Yes. An aperiodic design-essentially a stuffed port-will allow you to put this driver and get a result similar to putting a lower Qts driver in a sealed box.

red said:

I don't intend geting lower then 50-40 hz. But I need to find a good way to make it sound as loud as posible and without high distorsions.

A 12 incher in a sealed box should be able to get you down between 40 and 50 Hz, assuming it has average Xmax-which is about 5 or 6 mm.

My guess is that you will end up with a box of 2 or 2.5 Ft³, either ported, sealed, or aperiodic, depending on the Qts of the driver.

I want you to understand that I have never built an aperiodic box. However, we have several people here who have, and reading the appropriate threads will be very informative.

Essentially, an aperiodic vent lowers the Qtc of a sealed box.

So I would say that you have about an 80-90% chance of achieving your goal of 40 or 50 Hz with that woofer in a 2 or 2.5 Ft³ box. Can't promise anything-but most 12 inchers will achieve that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.