Bass reflex woofer selection and modeling - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2013, 03:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bass reflex woofer selection and modeling

Hi folks, first time posting. I have long studied the serious bass research that goes on here. I got started wanting to build some BFM T60s, of course, years ago and have also become enamored with the eloquent TH designs that have evolved over here - and yet, I still have not done...anything.

Recently at an outdoor event on a beach I was dismayed by the sound. Long story short, I'd like to build some decent subs that have BIG wheels on them to be lugged on a sandy downhill path 1 mile to the beach. I know that I want BR boxes because I have hand tool only woodworking skills (and patience!)

8 cubic ft (240l) boxes are fine and I'd like to hit 40Hz.

My question is in regards to modeling BR boxes. I have been using WinISD .50a7 and have found that my designs always reach xmax well before approaching the thermal limits. In the graphs below you will see a graph of each box SPL @ 1 meter given the maximum amount of power to hit xmax (each noted in the key). Are BR boxes known to experience over excursion above the port tuning frequency - as you will see from the 2nd graph, showing cone excursion, it is the 50-60Hz range that is causing problems. Then again, maybe all of my modeling is wrong! The cheapo MCM drivers did not list BL - I entered it as "10" but have thought about calculating it and/or moving on to HornResp.

Thanks,
J.P.

PS: 110dB/1m sounds fine to me...it's only for about 20-50 people.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th October 2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Lusk is offline Lusk  Australia
diyAudio Member

Is there any reason you have the port tuning for example with MCM at 41 Hz? Is this for more output?

why not lower at around 32Hz like WinISD should suggest.
Old 11th October 2013, 04:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is for higher output around 50Hz. A lower port tuning does not significantly raise the response at 40Hz so I figured I'd rather just take the extra SPLs.
Old 11th October 2013, 07:36 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

A pair of these in 8 ft^3 puts out far more SPL: Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer 295-036

GM
Old 11th October 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just modeled a single PA460-8 in the 8cuft box tuned to 40Hz and it does not reach xmax until 300W (it's 500W RMS) which is much better. This means that it can reach a solid 120dB 1m at 40Hz and peaks at 122dB at 50Hz. Thanks, that's just the sorta lead I needed.

Modeling the suggested sizes, 4cuft and 53Hz, shows that it does not reach xmax until 500W but lacks extension.
Old 11th October 2013, 08:49 AM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Considering their relatively low cost, then why not [2] in 8 ft^3/~40 Hz?

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!