Replace Stands with Subwoofers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2013, 01:31 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Dilbret, If you have issues with the solutions (drivers) that are given here, giving port noise or the length of ports, for the max. output power in use (condition) then use some alternative Aperiodic Design, damping or stuffing the ports a little for the total Q, maybe with the use of an oversized diam. or the use of passive radiators are good alternatives. You can then test and audition for final best results with your prototype.
Also count always with the extra sized ports (ports+drivers) for total net volume you have available.
Old 13th October 2013, 01:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

This is a great idea. I may do it myself. I am very thrilled with many Peerless drivers. Likely the best value in drivers these days. The 6.5 and 8 inch Nomex cone drivers are seriously excellent and at a small fraction the cost of the hoity-toity names like Scanspeak. I'd put four of the Peerless 6.5 or 8 inch Nomex cone woofers in a well damped, well braced, closed box tower/stand, and actively EQ them to be acoustically pretty flat to 32 HZ. That would sound incredible, and I believe work better with typical listening room acoustics then any single woofer on each side. The 6.5 inch Nomex drivers are on sale right now for $50 each at either Parts Express or Madisound. I'm using them and can't believe how good they sound with the above mentioned active EQ. I have the analog active EQ circuit designed if you're interested (I will share the schematic). It has four dual opamps total, including the level control buffer. Flat above 100HZ, but with a 12dB peak at 32 HZ, and then a steep rolloff below that. You might want to add a 4 pole Linkwitz-Riley crossover at 100HZ. You can lift that off the linkwitzlab.com website.
Old 14th October 2013, 01:18 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I did the same thing with these PE buyout subs (two per side):

6-1/2" Subwoofer Speaker 299-114

And the Dayton 70W plate amp. For me, having multiple subs with cheaper drivers worked. I never had the chance to compare it to a quality single larger sub, but I imagine this setup with multiple small drivers at multiple placements was the more musical choice. No HT on my stereo setup.

I was totally happy until I decided to change my bookshelf speakers. One of the unforeseen downfalls was the appearance of the sub-stands once I had a not-exactly-matching-width speaker on top. If I were to do this again, I'd go for a slim width over something exactly matching the speakers on top and also go with a contrasting finish on the sub stands. Two slightly different shades of maple was not a big wife pleaser.
Old 14th October 2013, 03:38 AM   #14
Dilbret is offline Dilbret  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks all. I am starting to go through all the ideas you have given me. I am liking the idea of dual Tang Bands each side with a plate amp. One possible issue is that with the fairly narrow tower, the plate size might be a problem. I suppose I could cut down the amp plates, but don't want to do that.

Some of the designs you volunteered suggested a pretty long vent, which could be a problem given my dimension limits. I would actually prefer sealed, but I know it won't go as low.

I am not looking to go down to 20 Hz, just extend the range of my current system (which goes to 48ish Hz).

Other than the fact that I already am using Scan Speak drivers, one reason I was looking at the Revelator subwoofer was that (according to Madisound anyway) it would go to 33 Hz in a sealed box.

I am still looking into other drivers you suggested (Peerless, Dayton) and thinking about crossover/amplifier options, but I am getting what I wanted, some ideas that I didn't think of, and that is huge. Thanks again.
Old 14th October 2013, 04:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbret View Post
I would actually prefer sealed, but I know it won't go as low.
Good.
That's a new priority...
Old 14th October 2013, 05:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just because I already have Scanspeak, I was looking at the 9 inch Revelator sub at Madisound, but it would be pricy for two of them.

Quote:
Other than the fact that I already am using Scan Speak drivers, one reason I was looking at the Revelator subwoofer was that (according to Madisound anyway) it would go to 33 Hz in a sealed box.
It does F3 33Hz ff sealed.
SS - SUBWOOFER 23W/4557T00
Old 14th October 2013, 06:09 PM   #17
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
FYI:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScanSpeak _23W4557T-02.JPG (493.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 27th October 2013, 08:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

After looking around I am now thinking about dual Dayton 210HO 4 Ohm in series on each side. I like the price of the 6" TB's, but it won't go as low as I would like.

Sealed box and using a plate amplifier. I can get all 4 drivers for about the price of 1 Revelator sub. Sizing the box will be tough. I will probably have to make it deeper than I would prefer to get the volume, but that's the way it goes.

Do you guys have any more advice? I really appreciate the input.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Whatever you build a 20L or 50L (sealed) with Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4/8 8" you will get F10~30Hz. Make it smaller and you get less extension.
Old 27th October 2013, 11:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I think I can just barely do 50L with the size cabinet I want, so there is not much room to play with.

Hide this!Advertise here!