4th Order Bandpass with Passive Radiator ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2003, 11:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4th Order Bandpass with Passive Radiator ?

About a month ago I saw an ad in stereophile(or one of the other hifi magazines) for a sub woofer. The add clearly showed a cut away drawing of the sub, it looked to be a 4th order bandpass with a 10 or 12 inch sub, but instead of a port it used a passive radiator. Does any know what kind of sub this is or if there is anything speacial to making one(like would you calculate the volumes like a 4th order and tune the passive radiator just like a port) I think it was something like 14" cubed and about $1500
Old 17th December 2003, 12:36 AM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: 4th Order Bandpass with Passive Radiator ?

Quote:
Originally posted by audioaction
it looked to be a 4th order bandpass with a 10 or 12 inch sub, but instead of a port it used a passive radiator. Does any know what kind of sub this is or if there is anything speacial to making one(like would you calculate the volumes like a 4th order and tune the passive radiator just like a port)
If you saw a cutout and it simply had a passive radiator where the port would be, there would be little problem, I would think.

I have the original paper by Laurie, (man's name in England) Fincham, who is the "F" in KEF. He popularized the bandpass, and I think that KEF is about the only major hifi company that uses them.

Anyway, in his original paper, the test bandpass had a passive radiator instead of a port. So it is nothing new. I believe the bass rollosff ight be a bit steeper with the Passive Radiator, though.
Old 17th December 2003, 12:44 AM   #3
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

BP designs are no different than any other vented design WRT the vent type, so yes, you can substitute the vent with a PR, though I recommend two to cancel out any vibrations. There are some design considerations when using PRs, but it's all straightforward.

I don't keep up with comsumer audio, so I'm not familar with the unit.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!