4th Order Bandpass with Passive Radiator ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About a month ago I saw an ad in stereophile(or one of the other hifi magazines) for a sub woofer. The add clearly showed a cut away drawing of the sub, it looked to be a 4th order bandpass with a 10 or 12 inch sub, but instead of a port it used a passive radiator. Does any know what kind of sub this is or if there is anything speacial to making one(like would you calculate the volumes like a 4th order and tune the passive radiator just like a port) I think it was something like 14" cubed and about $1500

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
audioaction said:
it looked to be a 4th order bandpass with a 10 or 12 inch sub, but instead of a port it used a passive radiator. Does any know what kind of sub this is or if there is anything speacial to making one(like would you calculate the volumes like a 4th order and tune the passive radiator just like a port)

If you saw a cutout and it simply had a passive radiator where the port would be, there would be little problem, I would think.

I have the original paper by Laurie, (man's name in England) Fincham, who is the "F" in KEF. He popularized the bandpass, and I think that KEF is about the only major hifi company that uses them.

Anyway, in his original paper, the test bandpass had a passive radiator instead of a port. So it is nothing new. I believe the bass rollosff ight be a bit steeper with the Passive Radiator, though.

GM

Joined 2003
BP designs are no different than any other vented design WRT the vent type, so yes, you can substitute the vent with a PR, though I recommend two to cancel out any vibrations. There are some design considerations when using PRs, but it's all straightforward.

I don't keep up with comsumer audio, so I'm not familar with the unit.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.