Tiny sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made a bandpass box with a radioshack 4" one time. Made a box with a 5 inch wide 8" long baffle for the driver. Mounted the driver and created the back volume by letting the driver sit on the back. The vent was a plastic pop bottle straight section 5" long. I think the external dims were 5.75x8.75x6.75. I'm still shocked that it worked and the volume I got out of it at real bass frequencies. I had a copy of the Autosound2000 test disc with 10-100hz sine waves. The box played down to 30 hz somehow at about 5 db down.

Actually I am working on a bookshelf cigar box stereo. THe sub IF I ever build one for it will come later down the road but I figured while I was waiting for more of my parts to arive I would poll the masses about the idea and options for a small sub to match and reinforce the low end (eventually maybe). Ideas?

Rick B,
Now that your project is underway, you need to check the curves for LF rolloff of your mains speakers, because what you need is to complement them or add some low frequencies, not ""A home theater for ants??"". :D
What is this? A home theater for ants??
Your post should read something like; ""With this drivers (model) and enclosures (type/dimensions) as the main speakers and rolloff at such frequencies (F3, F6), I would like to make some complementing subs."" :cool:

Hi,

FYI, I dont recall if I've posted these (Submitted): Simulations before?

b:)

Attachments

• 3x---4inch_subs.jpg
    3x---4inch_subs.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 267
  • BR-or-ML-TL.jpg
    BR-or-ML-TL.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Dayton Audio DS115-8.jpg
    Dayton Audio DS115-8.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 235
  • TB_W4-1658SB_Bookshelf_subs10-18L.JPG
    TB_W4-1658SB_Bookshelf_subs10-18L.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 238
  • TB-W3-1876S.jpg
    TB-W3-1876S.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 230
Inductor, Thats pretty formal for me. I actually like the idea of a home theater for ants....Lends a creative description to what I'm trying to do. ANyhow I am just not sure where I would get all this official information other than the driver models and such. I am kind of stuch stuffing them into the boxes how ever large or small they happen to be and acepting what ever f3 and f6 happens to go along with them. I suppose there must be a way to take the volume info coupled with the driver perameters and come up with some theoretical numbers. But right now thats a bit beyond me. Im picking up my boxes tomorrow night so after that I will have a solid number for the box volume. Thanks for everything here its quite entertaining and informative. And with a little luck it will all still sound ok considering my lack of knowledge on the subject.

If I were doing this, I would get a 55-2421 from MCM, put it in a .3 cubic ft net sealed box and Linkwitz Transform for -3 dB anywhere from 40 to 50Hz. If you can give it a whole 6 liters of air to work with you could go for 35Hz F3. If you can put up with the driver mounted magnet-out it would survive more long term power, or you can design for the pole vent to exit directly to air, or the entire backside of the magnet structure exposed.. The lack of resonant effects and port noise would make it worth it. You will need an actual 100+ watts of power though, for the ~+10dB of drive before rolloff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.