P.A. 18 TH (18tbw100 30x38x22.5")

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright. This puts me back to the drawing board. 110V on the table :)

Not exactly sure what you're getting at, but IMHO a 15A or 20A 115v breaker is more than enough for a very powerful class-d sub amp when just playing music (aka not sine waves). I've run the NU6000 plus a 200w/ch class AB mains amp and PC/dj gear off only 15A 115v without a problem. You could probably run two nu6000's off a 15A breaker successfully if you really wanted to push your luck.

However, next time out I may try to put the amps on separate breakers just to see if it helps incrementally. I specifically have my main long power runs on 12g cable to minimize loss, including a 20A rack mount power strip that is internally and externally 12g wire, modified with a 15A plug. (it is ok per code to use a 20A breaker and 12g wiring for 15A outlets, so you will see that occasionally)

Last edited:
I regularly see voltage drops down to 100v or less according to system architect running my crown xti 4002 on a 10 gauge 20 foot drop cord straight into 20 amp circuits. Limited at 60v with a 4 ohm load. Ive blown plenty of 15 amp breakers when running 3 subs per side even limited at 50v output.

When i said back to the drawin board i mean most of the FlH id been working up in horn resp hit 12mm xmax with the tbw100 at about 90v. 110v into 8 ohm reflects the 1500w aes rating, and if im good to sim to 20mm i should jave nonproblem keeping it in check even with 110 volts input

Xmax plus 8mm is a bad number to shoot for IMO. I'd shoot for right around rated Xmax, maybe a mm or two higher without worries.

At Xmax plus 8mm distortion must be very high.

On a driver with a conservatively rated xmax, I'd say half way between xmax and xmech is fine in a low tuned bass reflex design. A small amount of extra sub distortion will not be noticeable IMHO, masked by the music. It will only be in two short frequency bands where possible excursion is that high, and since we are talking about a lower tuning, there will be less stress than if this excursion occurred at higher frequencies. In the odd case of a sustained bass note, you're more likely to pick up on massive room rattling.

I regularly see voltage drops down to 100v or less according to system architect running my crown xti 4002 on a 10 gauge 20 foot drop cord straight into 20 amp circuits. Limited at 60v with a 4 ohm load. Ive blown plenty of 15 amp breakers when running 3 subs per side even limited at 50v output.

When i said back to the drawin board i mean most of the FlH id been working up in horn resp hit 12mm xmax with the tbw100 at about 90v. 110v into 8 ohm reflects the 1500w aes rating, and if im good to sim to 20mm i should jave nonproblem keeping it in check even with 110 volts input

Interesting. 50v on 2.6 ohms (3x 8ohm nominal) figures to 940w (x2), so I would have to think that the load in question was well below that? 3x 4ohm subs in parallel? Figure the amp should be around 80% efficient, and supplied power should be at least 1/3rd of nominal output? Maybe if you're sustained hitting notes that are right at an impedance minimum? Horn subs, if that's what you have, have a more challenging impedance plot and should be harder to drive.

My comments about excursion don't apply to horns, only bass reflex where loads on the driver are not as severe.

Last edited:
Hi All,

FYI,
Checked this P.A.TH using the 18tbw100 driver when PEQ'd..Looked like a winner
but when compared to a ~30% smallerT-QWP= T-QWP-2(No EQ needed) at max 1500W I changed my opinion...:D

b:)

Attachments

• pal12rewspl2.JPG
    pal12rewspl2.JPG
    553.7 KB · Views: 208
  • B&C 18TBW100_T-QWP.JPG
    B&C 18TBW100_T-QWP.JPG
    969.1 KB · Views: 196
So the 30% smaller cabinet is digging a full 10hz lower with the same Efficiency?

Hi mRgSr,

Maybe I wasn't clear.. The smaller T-QWP labeled T-TQWT-2 has about the same SPL at 1500W like the TH but the one with a lower FR extension is not that efficient as reaching it's limit at a lower input Power and a SPL-max of at least - 4 dB lower in level when compared with your TH.

b:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.