Should I keep these ports separated?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a simple 2 driver ported sub cab. The box will have a divider (as is commonly recommended) to separate the drivers into their own volumes to ensure any driver response mismatches don't effect the volume seen by each. It's occurred to me that similar consideration might should be applied to the ports. The ports for this cab must be font firing (exit speaker baffle). I'm wondering if the ports for the individual box volumes should be positioned right next to each other (where the 2 separate enclosures join) or if it would be better to position them at opposite far ends of the front baffle to theoretically minimize any interactive air load effect they may have on each other do to slight tuning mismatches, or if it doesn't matter one doodly squat. Remember these are separate ports of separate enclosures. :xeye:

In the absence of knowledge opinions are welcome. ;)

as long as the tuning is very close, I believe this to be a question of aestetics. (yeah... I can't spell, sue me ;) ) Maybe the experts out there know of some half-refracted-transposed-orange-2-ports-too-damned-close-resonance.... but in my limited experience, I've never come across it.

Do with my opinion what you will... and take the last part with a grain of salt. But when in doubt, make a spare baffle ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I realize in your case both ports have to fire out the front, but it recently occured to me that having one fire out the front and one out the rear might help average out some room resonances. I sspect that they might be still too close together to make much difference though, considering the wavelengths involved....

If this is not an isobarik - then use a single volume, this will help average oyut any driver differences
- as for dual ports I would space them at thirds - ie first one at 1/3 width, second at 2/3rds - uneven spacing can result in one port taking more of the load than the other, resulting in mistuning & compression at higher levels.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.