Bose surround sound system not working - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2013, 12:23 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

18" subwoofers do not have any advantage over others?

Hmm (I'm singling that out cuz this is the subwoofer form lol)
Old 13th September 2013, 12:29 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

B.O.S.E.

Bloody 'Orrible Sound Everywhere.
Old 13th September 2013, 03:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter audio View Post
THE SUBWOOFER:
First of all, 5.5-inch drivers are not intended to be used as bass drivers; they are clearly midrange drivers. In fact, Bose doesn't even claim that its "Bass Module" is in fact a subwoofer because they can't! True subwoofers start at 8 inches and taper off at 15 inches in diameter (sometimes you will find 6-inch subwoofers in multimedia computer systems and novelty 18-inch subwoofers, but those are largely non-conventional designs that do not have any advantage over others.). Chosen woofer size largely depends on the application, be it music playback and type of music or movies, SPL or accuracy, and other factors such as room dimensions. Smaller subwoofers move faster and thus have tighter bass response for improved clarity and accuracy, but larger subwoofers can reproduce lower frequencies and at louder volumes. <snip>

Build Quality. None of the three woofers Bose employs has adequate driver bracing. This is just one of another crucial aspects of a speaker's design that Bose missed the mark on. The spider supporting the cone is flimsy considering the excursion required from such a small woofer. This invariably translates to loose and sloppy response, and even a doubling effect at high volumes! What's worse is the fact that the woofers are accommodated with foam surrounds.
"Loose", "sloppy", "tight". When used to describe low frequencies, this gives a very strong impression that the author doesn't know much about audio. Especially the bit about smaller subwoofers.
Old 13th September 2013, 03:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderedbeast View Post
I traded a digital camera tonight for a BOSE media center model AV38 tonight. It looks kinda rough but I think we a little cleaning up, it can be brought back to life. I got it all plugged up and turned it on. The media center turned on and the display showed that a dvd was playing. However, no sound was coming out of the speakers nor the subwoofer. I don't think the subwoofer model PS38 is powering on to power the speakers as the speakers plug into that. I plugged the media center audio output to the tv and the sound works on the tv, so does the video. I don't think its the media center but the subwoofer itself. I wiggled all the cords around and also tried a different power cord but to no luck. Is there a fuse to these that I could replace and if so where is this located? Thanks for any help in advance.
Baring that this could be an obvious troll......

I would suggest finding the service manual and attempting to follow any troubleshooting steps it may provide.
Old 13th September 2013, 08:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Listening to a Bose Acousticmass is one of the things that got me into DIY speakerbuilding. I knew I could cobble together something that sounded better than that even if Julian Hirsch liked them at the time.
Old 13th September 2013, 11:00 PM   #16
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

There may be an internal fuse on the amplifier or power supply board.

Or, sell or swap it on Craigslist to someone who's in love with the aura of Boseness and likes to tinker. Or destroy it in various creative ways and post the video on Youtube.
Old 14th September 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi

"Loose", "sloppy", "tight". When used to describe low frequencies, this gives a very strong impression that the author doesn't know much about audio. Especially the bit about smaller subwoofers. "

Please note the author (David) is most probably a mechanical engineer not related to audio , who took up the task of exploring all that he has mentioned in the blog one must appreciate the engineering findings ,

Suranjan
Old 14th September 2013, 03:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Bose, a bit like Yamaha, like to blind their audience with science. Unfortunately that makes their equipment, even with a schematic and a wealth of experience, often very difficult to fault find on. If it's not one of the common culprits like a dry joint, a broken wire or a fuse, you will be lucky to find the fault.
Old 14th September 2013, 04:24 PM   #19
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

I would say he is an idiot.
Millions of 2" tweeters out there and some people prefer paper over domes.
I am not a fan of any 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system as you can easily build better for the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter audio View Post
Hi

"Loose", "sloppy", "tight". When used to describe low frequencies, this gives a very strong impression that the author doesn't know much about audio. Especially the bit about smaller subwoofers. "

Please note the author (David) is most probably a mechanical engineer not related to audio , who took up the task of exploring all that he has mentioned in the blog one must appreciate the engineering findings ,

Suranjan
Old 15th September 2013, 05:08 AM   #20
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

He's certainly mistaken about foam surrounds only being used on junk speakers. Foam doesn't change stiffness with temperature as much as plastics do, it's more linear, and does other stuff like dampening cone vibration modes or something. I know of a $5000 subwoofer that uses foam surrounds, and have encountered foam surrounds on drivers by Audax, Philips, EPI, JL Audio, and, um, Optimus. And, of course, the reason I remember those particular foam surrounds is because most of them have failed. So, I can understand the criticisms of foam surrounds. Is a limited life span worth the better sound? Have surround manufacturers learned to make foam that doesn't rot?

As for size, I've felt the bass from 6.5" drivers in-car, so in a proper box they can certainly deliver useful bass and be worthy of the name subwoofer.

Last edited by dangus; 15th September 2013 at 05:17 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!