Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Subwoofer for music

There is a possibility that I will be asked to construct a subwoofer for a room that will be used quite heavily for parties. This means that in this case quantity is somewhat prioritized over quality. This also means that it will be playing a lot of base heavy music.
The budget is rather slim but I've made two suggestions using a Dayton DCS385-4 15" driver and a Monacor SAM-300D 300W amp. As for the box I was thinking a ported rather then sealed for increased volume. The placement won't be ideal either since it will have to stand behind a corner sofa, i.e it will have to be a three sided box. The port will be firing underneath the sofa.
I did some calculations in BB Pro 6 and got two inital alternatives I would like to get some feedback on:

F3 @ 30Hz:
f3-30Hz.jpg

F3 @ 35Hz:
f3-35Hz.jpg

At this stage I would like to point out that I don't have a whole lot of experience with building subwoofers so go easy on me.
Old 6th September 2013, 06:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you're on the right track. I would advise against firing a port into a sofa, as it will absorb your bass. You want the sound going into the corner, then up and out over the sofa if at all possible.

Last edited by turbodawg; 6th September 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 6th September 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. Would you advice to put both the cone and port above the sofa?
Old 6th September 2013, 06:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer45 View Post
Thanks. Would you advice to put both the cone and port above the sofa?
If possible, yes. But would not face them upwards, where people could spill on them.

A quick sketch with dimensions of what you have to work with would be very helpful here.

How large is the space, and what are the main speakers you have to keep up with?

Last edited by turbodawg; 6th September 2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 6th September 2013, 06:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Made a quick 3d sketchup:

Subwoofer.jpg

The amp would be placed at the bottom of the baffle. The box is now 79" high which would place the port above head level (don't want anyone to get that thing blowing in their neck). Would this be a better placement? Or should I keep the port high and place the cone low with the amp in the middle?
Old 6th September 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Bass is omnidirictional and should pass right through a sofa. I would mount it low so the center of balance is lower. A cube will be easier to fabricate.
Old 6th September 2013, 09:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. doom View Post
......should pass right through a sofa.
Disagree. A sofa will absorb a significant amount of sound, which is particularly important for a sub with limited output.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer45 View Post
Made a quick 3d sketchup:

Attachment 369693

The amp would be placed at the bottom of the baffle. The box is now 79" high which would place the port above head level (don't want anyone to get that thing blowing in their neck). Would this be a better placement? Or should I keep the port high and place the cone low with the amp in the middle?
I would build it right up to the ceiling and get both the driver and port as close to the ceiling as is practical, for good corner loading. Use a large area port with a 90 degree bend, slot/triangle port if needed, or put the woofer and port on the top face about 2-3" from the ceiling.

I strongly recommend plywood, not mdf.

Last edited by turbodawg; 6th September 2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 6th September 2013, 10:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Not sure how tight your budget is, but you may also want to look at these two drivers:

Dayton Audio DCS450-4 18" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-475
Dayton Audio DVC385-88 15" DVC Series Subwoofer 295-190
Old 6th September 2013, 10:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
I would build it right up to the ceiling and get both the driver and port as close to the ceiling as is practical, for good corner loading. Use a large area port with a 90 degree bend, slot/triangle port if needed, or put the woofer and port on the top face about 2-3" from the ceiling.

I strongly recommend plywood, not mdf.
I can't get good curves with such a big box though. Maybe I'm missing something?

Why plywood instead of mdf, wouldn't mdf be better at resisting vibrations?

Hide this!Advertise here!