Folded horn sound quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to clarify the measurements that Spinmonster linked to were ground plane outdoors with the nearest significant objects other than the ground and the subwoofer cabinet themselves a good 60ft away or more.

Spinmonster,
I used the LMSR12 drivers in a variety of alignments and in general found them to be an excellent sub driver with reasonably extended top end, low distortion, high linearity and tremendous power handling. Subjectively and objectively they are one of the better 12" sub drivers I have used. I certainly wouldn't say that there was anything subjectively slow or muddy about them. Each person has their own subjective opinion of course. ;)

Hi Josh, I agree the TC is a great driver and I enjoy its mix of SPL, extension, and SQ. The SEAS L26ROY doesn't have its extension or max SPL, but its detail, apparently from a better high end, is easily what I want more of from the TC 12". Two of the SEAS 10's would likely perform adequately in SPL for my personal want, but the TC being in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed box over 3.5 cubes for the 2 ported SEAS drivers precludes the SEAS' candidacy.

Thank you to all that contributed, especially Earl's patience. The last few posts with all of you in the discussion clarified many points. The TC's high inductance may be affecting the high end, thus its perceived lesser detail. I will play around with crossover and slopes to maybe have some of that high end moved back to the smaller drivers.

FYI, the last several weeks I have spent on a piece of software that was encouraged by many of the topics covered here. This software does a simulation of a rectangular space <200 Hz (the modal region) with sources (Mains and subs) and listeners movable around the room in real time. The display updates continuously showing the effects of sub placement and listener location as well as how the subs interact with the mains. Many forms of data are available - most interesting being the statistics of the responses both in frequency and spatially. I have wanted to do a program like this for a long time but only recently have the PCs gotten fast enough to do the massive calculations in real time (Drag and drop the sub at a different location and the data updates instantly - about10,000 calculations each step.)
I will be posting this app on my website in about a week when I get a few remaining bugs worked out. Stay tuned.

Nothing besides rectangular box has a closed form solution. Numerical solutions would push the analysis well past what I am willing to do (and certainly well past doing it in real time.) The idea here is to get an "idea" of how the LF sound field works. It's great at that, but detailed and accurate data is not possible because of the perfectly rectangular assumption not being accurate.

More problematic than cathedral ceilings is the fact that few rooms are perfectly sealed (mine is, but few others are.) Connected open spaces are not accounted for.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Generally speaking, I think that any resonances in the playback are not good things. The resonances belong in the performance (music is nothing but a well controlled set of specific resonances of various instruments), not in the reproduction.

yeah, I know that ole song
I think the title is 'old style audiophile dreaming' :D

Mr Geddes, have you thought about trying something completely different, I mean, regarding speaker design ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.