12" symmetrical tapped horn plan?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a sound system consisting of 4 cbx-18s and 4 mth30s for kick. For purely aesthetical reasons combined with the theoretical benefits of symmetrical driver loading in a tapped horn that ive read so much about, I'd like the kick section to essentially be baby cyclopses. I'm not nearly skilled enough to know where to even start designing one (even though I wanna be soon) so is there a something like this, or can someone help me design one so I can learn?

Imo the mth30s I have sound better in kick than the 15" flh I'm used to, not as agressive but with just authority, but like I said I'm open to suggestions
I'm using rcf l12p110k drivers now but I'm looking to put something very different in these ones.

If it makes a difference I find myself playing kick at 60-125 which I suppose constitutes just bass in some books

Even if not for this particular project, a 12" symmetrical tapped horn would still be awesome :D

I don't think the tapped horn would make a good kick cabinet because of the rapidly changing group delay and phase at the upper and lower crossover points.
Having compared TH and FLH of similar response I would not dismiss TH for the "kick" range.

As you can see below in the comparison of a dual 10" TH and two 15" C horns (similar to a shrunken LabHorn) both using a BW 25/125 filter, phase response is quite similar in shape.

Subjectively, the smaller 2x10" TH had similar "kick" to the Chorn in side by side tests.
Using a single 10" version for a drum monitor in my "baby" system, playing up to around 250 Hz crossing in to a pair of 5" & tweeter.
A techno drummer/DJ was quite impressed by the "punch" and clarity.

Anyway, not a symmetrical TH (sorry Shokzi), but TH can do just fine in the kick region.

Art

Attachments

• TH:FLH.png
    TH:FLH.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 262
I'm kinda lost, I thought symmetrical tapped horns performed the same as others, I thought/hoped it was as simple as an alternative folding pattern for a tweaked mth 30? :(
They perform the same, but use more wood (and weight) to achieve the same horn path length.

Heavier and more material for the same Fb, you pay for symmetry ;).

But since you are building "for purely aesthetical reasons", no problems :).

"I would not dismiss TH for the "kick" range."

So what kind of slopes, crossover points, delay settings, and phasing are you using?
LR or BW 24 dB per octave in general, the delay times, crossover points and in band and out of band parametric EQ all vary with the type of top cabinets and sub cabinets used.
The alignment of a sealed front loaded top would be different than a horn loaded or ported top, all would require different settings to make a smooth phase transition.

Fortunately, DSP can save dozens of settings ;).
When I had a pile of FLH, BR, and TH subs for sale, I aligned each to the same top cabinet and would switch DSP settings for each.

If I forgot to switch settings when switching subs the results were not good..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.