Got 18" for free, looking for enclosure ideas for HT?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I received this 18" subwoofer for free:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's a dual 2 ohm car sub, so possibly not the best for HT :(

Specs are:
3" voicecoil
Fs : 20.5 Hz
Qes : 0.57
Qms : 5.61
Qts : 0.52
Le : 5.92 mH
Sd : 1140 cm^2
Vas : 237 L
BL : 24.79 NA
Mms : 470 g
Cms : 128 uM/N
Sens : 87.22 dB 1w/1m
Wattage: 1250w RMS

Linear x-max is around ~30mm one-way by 70% BL with a total mechanical clearance of 50mm in the motor. Should move some air :)

I was going to power it with an EP2000 (1300rms at 4ohms bridged) unless you think there's a more appropriate weapon.

I'm currently running a no-name 12" ported sub/box on 350rms, doesn't get as low as I'd like.

Was thinking with the 18" to tune it very low, like 20hz, mostly for LFE for movies (not much music played on this system).

Let me know what you think or if this is a waste of time. If this wasn't going to work out I was going to build a 2 x 12" Infinity 1262w ported box.

-Jamie M.

BS, who gives that stuff away for free?? LOL :)
Bought it for his car, tried for 2 months to get it to fit. He's had it listed for sale but nobody local wants it, and shipping is retarded :) It's a bit of a drive for me but I offered to take it off his hands.

It'd never fit in my car either, so figured I could use it for HT duty if it'd be appropriate.

You can get em brand new for $359 so they ain't horribly expensive, even new.

-Jamie M.

Compared to the RE XXX at $850 seems like a great deal at $360 :D

Hi "toys..."

$360 sounds about right, for a good, high quality driver such as that one. A JL Audio "10W7-3" goes for $639, and their (10W7) "Anniversary Edition" sells for $699...not that I'd buy that one (A.E. is about status). But I think most "Top shelf, brand name" drivers can range anywhere from $200 to $700, depending on it's size/application. BTW... what's wrong with it being a "Dual" 2 ohm vc; if you run them together "in series" it'll be a 4 ohm driver??!

rigtec, cheers

Last edited:
Hi "toys..."

$360 sounds about right, for a good, high quality driver such as that one. A JL Audio "10W7-3" goes for $639, and their (10W7) "Anniversary Edition" sells for $699...not that I'd buy that one (A.E. is about status). But I think most "Top shelf, brand name" drivers can range anywhere from $200 to $700, depending on it's size/application. BTW... what's wrong with it being a "Dual" 2 ohm vc; if you run them together "in series" it'll be a 4 ohm driver??!

rigtec, cheers
First, I'm a big JL Audio fan :) Rocked JL in my very first car:

Jamie88IROCzPPiPC1400andJL12W6_L.jpg

And am rocking a JL 1000/1 amp in my current car (on two 12" VVME RD-12 subs).

I wasn't specifically complaining about it being dual 2 ohm, more that it's a car audio sub was wasn't sure how good it would be for HT. All of my HT stuff has always been 8 ohms, so I wasn't sure what amps would be stable at 4ohms, which I found out a bunch of amps are stable at 4 ohms bridged, so no issue there :D I found a smokin price on a EPX2800 that's close to me, not sure if 2000rms would cook this voice coil or not.

I've been watching for a great deal on a 13w7 but people seem to love them too much to let them go cheap ;)

-Jamie M.

As already pointed out.. with a Qes that high, I'd put it in a large sealed enclosure, and EQ it a bit, using the most powerful amplifier you have on hand. I haven't done any sims yet, but a suitable ported enclosure would likely be ridiculously large.

Edit: WinISD Pro says 10.1 cubic ft for 0.707 Qtc, 28-29 Hz F3. And that's if the T-S parameters are accurate. Qts is often higher than spec'd. So, build the largest sealed enclosure you can tolerate, stuff it with several pounds of polyfill (or whatever), and be done with it. You can apply a tiny bit of boost on the low-end, but only a little, and only if the EQ can target 20 Hz or less. A digital low shelf will work best. And you will need quite a bit of power.

Edit again: 20 cubic feet tuned to 15 Hz would also work.. :D

Last edited:
As already pointed out.. with a Qes that high, I'd put it in a large sealed enclosure, and EQ it a bit, using the most powerful amplifier you have on hand. I haven't done any sims yet, but a suitable ported enclosure would likely be ridiculously large.
How ridiculous? Curious minds want to know :)

Is there a good website where I could model this sub in a sealed enclosure to see how it does at around 17hz?? Is that too low to expect much output from a sealed enclosure?

-Jamie M.

That +4db at 17hz has me excited, but is that 42.5 cubic feet correct?!
Jamie,

Sounds like it could be correct, and it probably will hit the excursion limits with a lot less than full power in that large of a box.

I'd try a tapped horn like the Gjallerhorn if considering a 4 x 4 x 3 foot box.
That would give a lot more "wow".

Series voice coils are not a problem as long as the polarity is correct.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.