Choice of a sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there all,
need some help w/ which of these 2 subs to choose .. my gf's dad is getting a home theatre setup that'll comprise of a set of paradigms (don't know model #) for fronts, rears are klipsch rcr 3's (in ceiling), the center is klipsch rc35, and the receiver is Onkyo TXSR701

Now, he's getting a deal on all of this (he already has all of the speakers, and the onkyo is on order).

He can get a deal on these 2 subs: Klipsch KSW 12 (12") and PSB Alpha Subsonic 5i (10")
spec sheets:
http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/SubwooferSpecs.html
http://www.klipsch.com/media/Products/ksw10_om.pdf

Now, I'm thinking of the klipsch one, its 12" and a fair bit louder. However, the 10" is rated at 150watts class H, as oposed to 105watts for the klipsch. But, as I said, I haven't personally heard either. The room is very large, so the volume will have to be fairly decent. Not sure how the two compare though, I haven't heard either one, and I've never even heard of PSB speakers before ..

so .. anyone that has heard these two, which would you recommend?

PSB make very good louspeakers, the engineering approach
is similar to Paradigm and the PSB sub is very likely to be a
good product.

The klipsh max spl is measured at 1m corner loaded, which is
a bit of a cheat because corner loading is not a good place for a
sub unless you are chasing SPL, 1/3 along the front wall is good.

I'd suggest the 5I's SPL will be fine, its only 3dB less than the top
model, that has a 15" and more than twice the power, for the top
model the extra is used more for extra extension than extra volume.

My opinion is the PSB will likely have better quality bass.

:) sreten.

Well, 2 for PSB :)

Comments are greatly appreciated, and any other feedback is as well.

Yeah, the PSB is rated quite a bit more than the other.

I just wish he'd have more time on his hands. He's awesome when it comes to carpentry (just built his own house, his dad's a pro carpenter with access to just about any tool short of a cnc machine in his garage). I'd pick a good project and do all the wiring&amp stuff, BUT, no time sadly :(
I enjoy having time while in school .. the little time I do have is tons more than the time a lot of "adults" have :p (suckers)

Anyway, I'll let him know about these things, and make sure he listens to both of em first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.