Getting low bass from a small woofer at low volume. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Getting low bass from a small woofer at low volume.

I'm starting a new project and would appreciate some input from those with more experience than me.

Goal.
To design and build a stereo system for low to moderate listening levels, that will produce flat (ish) frequency response down to 35Hz.. that is small enough to take into work without drawing a bunch of attention to myself.

Budget <$300.

This will be a 2 way bookshelf + subwoofer system utilizing fountek FR88ex mids (probably) and Vifa XT25SC90-4 tweets. I am undecided on a sub woofer yet, but would like to stick with as small of a woofer as possible. 6.5 inch or less.

I wonder how Dayton Audio ND105-8's will perform as a sub woofer in a bass reflex box, or something of the sort.

I have so little free time on a computer that will allow me to do some modeling of speaker boxes, so I would appreciate any technical input I can get on the matter of a box for that particular woofer.

I do not have a problem building a large box, and a passive radiator may be a viable option, I just don't want to lug in an enormous box with a 12 inch woofer in it. my boss would probably ban radios immediately as soon as he saw it. ANYWAYS!

Old 19th August 2013, 10:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Low bass needs to move air, but I don't see that happening with a 6.5 inch.
How about two 8 inch woofers mounted face-to-face (isobaric)? This permits the box to be half the volume needed for a single woofer.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:06 PM   #3
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsworth View Post
I'm starting a new project and would appreciate some input from those with more experience than me.

Goal.
To design and build a stereo system for low to moderate listening levels, that will produce flat (ish) frequency response down to 35Hz.. that is small enough to take into work without drawing a bunch of attention to myself.

Budget <$300.

This will be a 2 way bookshelf + subwoofer system utilizing fountek FR88ex mids (probably) and Vifa XT25SC90-4 tweets. I am undecided on a sub woofer yet, but would like to stick with as small of a woofer as possible. 6.5 inch or less.

I wonder how Dayton Audio ND105-8's will perform as a sub woofer in a bass reflex box, or something of the sort.

I have so little free time on a computer that will allow me to do some modeling of speaker boxes, so I would appreciate any technical input I can get on the matter of a box for that particular woofer.

I do not have a problem building a large box, and a passive radiator may be a viable option, I just don't want to lug in an enormous box with a 12 inch woofer in it. my boss would probably ban radios immediately as soon as he saw it. ANYWAYS!

Isobaric or bandpass.

You could also use a high excursion small sub in an undersized box and use a linkwitz transform to boost the low bass.
Old 20th August 2013, 01:32 AM   #4
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
Low bass needs to move air, but I don't see that happening with a 6.5 inch.
How about two 8 inch woofers mounted face-to-face (isobaric)? This permits the box to be half the volume needed for a single woofer.
low bass at ear blistering levels needs to move air. Technically all bass needs to move air, but you catch my drift. He is not looking at concert sound pressure levels. A quality 6.5 "subwoofer" in a properly designed bandpass can achieve good sensitivity and low-end response.

bradsworth, at what frequency do you anticipate you'd want to cross over to the satellite/high-freq. speakers?
Old 20th August 2013, 04:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think 8's would be much to heavy and large to be inconspicuous. although I would prefer it. I also want to keep my power requirements down, so a single woofer is preferred. I think I will be safe crossing my mids down to 150Hz or so, I may go with a larger midrange to get closer to 80 or 90Hz if it will significantly help my bass extension with the subwoofer. I really want to base this entire design around accurate music reproduction. specifically in the bass frequencies, where my current work radio completely lacks. For pure entertainment purposes, I will reveal what it is. don't make too much fun of me though

A 10 or so year old pioneer head unit, powered by an old computer's power supply, driving 2 kicker component speakers I took out of a buddy's car when I upgraded his sound system. The entire thing cost my exactly nothing to build. save the hour it took to build and enclosure out of 3/8th inch plywood and some soldering. oh yea, and the duct tape and sharpie to make it look like an 90's boombox. It is my temporary solution until I have a decent system put together I was surprised how well it was received. everyone at work wants one. hahaha
Old 20th August 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cerberus

6.5 inch Tang Band W6-1139SC in a 11 inch cube. Vented, f3=35Hz, will do about 100dB at 50W before excursion limit.
Old 20th August 2013, 03:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Wow, thank you for leading me to that site. I found it a while back, but havn't been able to relocate it. That is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. With mild modifications it should work well.
Old 20th August 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Good little woofer. I am pleased with mine.
Old 20th August 2013, 06:07 PM   #9
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

I have two of those TB subwoofers. Bought them before the price of Neo skyrocketed. Too bad you can't get them for the $40 listed in that build list, lol. The ceramic version is $4X.00 though.
Old 20th August 2013, 10:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsworth View Post
flat (ish) frequency response down to 35Hz.. that is small enough to take into work without drawing a bunch of attention to myself. ...my boss would probably ban radios immediately as soon as he saw it.
What environment is your work? this is almost contradictory, in that you don't want attention but you want good bass response... will the environment be conducive to bass reproduction?

Hide this!Advertise here!