Suggest a sub/plan - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest a sub/plan

Long time lurker/drooler. I am an ex loud rock band wooddorker with some old wedges I use to DJ occasionally. Usually more than plenty for what I do. As fate will have it I am scheduled to DJ a niece's wedding and the room is a bit bigger than I am use to and don't think the wedges will cut it. Looking to add some low end. Obviously looking to save a few bucks going DIY but otherwise like the Yorkville subs on the market today. Anyone willing to take me under their wing and offer some suggestions or help? I have a Mackie 1400 laying around and am partial to a pair of SS15s but maybe some 18's in reflex will suffice. As usual (and customary for a first post I think?) I am trying to do the impossible: loud, low, AND small All kidding aside, I am am torn between loud and low, but willing to deal with size... OR should I just go to Guitar Center and put a 18" Yorky on plastic...

Let the ridicule begin!

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 8th August 2013, 04:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Buy the yorkville then return it

I'd say build something that you can use for multiple things, say a music system in your garage or maybe bbq's etc.

Is this really only a one time use thing? If so I'd say rent a sub setup from someone. Don't bother with the time effort and $ for just a one night thing

Where are you located?
Old 8th August 2013, 04:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Great ideas so far. FREE!

I still have some buds in the business so I can borrow if need be and the wedges are doable, so it's not do or die... I would have other uses for a sub as I do other gigs. Doesn't hurt that I have a decent shop to work in either.

Thanks for the input, I am in Northern Ohio.
Old 8th August 2013, 05:22 AM   #4
sine143 is offline sine143  United States
diyAudio Member

for wedding fare I doubt you really need low. go for loud and small.

most important question, what you got for $cash$ AND what you have for power/processing available
Old 8th August 2013, 01:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Isn't that technically 2 questions?

Although I could splurge I would like to keep cost down and I think $500 is good figure for DIY. I have a Mackie 1400 and while it might not be a macrotech but does have decent wattage (1400W @ 4 ohms) and a variable low cut (bessel 2nd order) and 63/125hz low pass (bessel 3rd order). While the low cut might not be as steep as I'd like, it should suffice for some TH protection.

Some other info: room sits 300-400 people with 20' ceilings or so.
Old 8th August 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

yes I suppose it is lol

thats a big room for 1 sub, certainly. hows you're line on quality plywood?
Old 8th August 2013, 10:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have access to anything but I think some maple hardwood ply from the box store would do. I live near the lake and could use marine grade ribbon stripe mahogany if I wanted. I am not gonna chintz out on ply but I think BB is overrated.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

mostly meant, how much of the 500 dollar budget is gonna get sunk into wood (and finish and hardware etc), and how much do you have left for the driver.
Old 9th August 2013, 03:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Gotcha. As you alluded to I have leaning on a mid level driver with the hope of building 2 cabs since I believe more drivers is the key. Kinda thinking $350 drivers/$150 wood.

It's been quite a struggle for me trying to extract and keep track of info here in my quest for low end: What design couple better, single high power cab versus multiple low power cabs, larger driver designs versus smaller etc. If it pleases the court, I would be willing to lug around a single "beast" if it will outperform 2 or more portables since I am not regularly gigging.

Thanks for your help thus far.
Old 9th August 2013, 05:36 PM   #10
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Zwiller,

Have you seen mRgSr's thread: $325 Lab 12 based PA tapped horn. ~35hz extension ?

Might work for you.

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!