B&W Acoustitune

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My thrift store trolling buddy just found a passive sub that indicates on the back that it had four options for vent length. Did they sell these with all four vents, which twist on? This one has the shortest. Nice looking 7" cast basket rubber surround drivers, double chamber bandpass, probably isobaric. Thanks

Any life left in the thread?
I'm in process of maybe getting this sub for PC audio enhancement.
Currently use sony ta-fe 910r amp and a pair of b&w dm 601 s2 speakers.

Is this sub a plug and play unit, so it could occupy the secondary output pair on the amp, while the primary would still power the 601's.

Hi,

Passive subs are hardly ever plug and play and are hard to
integrate with any decent speakers, all you get its lots of
bass where they overlap with the decent speakers.

Don't get me wrong, it may work well with B&W's
smaller lifestyle speakers, but not so well with 601's.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

Passive subs are hardly ever plug and play and are hard to
integrate with any decent speakers, all you get its lots of
bass where they overlap with the decent speakers.
That's not quite how these subwoofers work. They are plug and play. apparently the integrate very well with speakers like the B&W DM601 and LS3/5A.

You connect them to the main output from your amplifier and they have an internal crossover which splits the bass and higher frequencies. You connect your normal speakers to output terminals on the subwoofer and there is a crossover between subwoofer and main speakers avoiding the overlap you describe. The corssover frequency appears to be around 110Hz.

The different length tubes allow you to match the output of the sub to the sensitivity of the main stereo speakers.

I have two of these subwoofers but haven't unpacked them yet (recent purchases).

I intend to use them a bit differently as a stereo pair driven by a separate amplifier with an electronic crossover splitting the signal between the main speakers (B&W DM7) at 80Hz and the subwoofers.

One of the subwoofers requires a bit of TLC before I can do this so things are on hold for a couple of weeks.

When I have had time to sort things out I shall report back.

Sarah

Well, I was mistaken. Having opened up the ill speaker today with a view to doing the repairs necessary I took a good look at the crossover.

Signal to the satellite speakers is unfiltered. There is a low pass filter to the subwoofer.

This would mean that with satellite speakers that have appreciable bass (such as my DM7s) there would be some overlap.

Using an external crossover and separate high and low amplifiers will avoid this in my case.

Sarah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.