sub signal.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2013, 04:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default sub signal....

What would I use to test the line level sub output on my receiver? I think I might have run "not so good" sub cable in the wall for my sub outs.

I want to compare what's coming out of the receiver vs. what I have at the wall.
Old 27th July 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Help. If you are running a long distance first you need a good balanced (read professional) or unbalanced connection.
Basic Subwoofer Setup Guide NOT for Dummies | Audioholics
Old 27th July 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

We could do with more info on your setup.

If you have a digital multimeter set it to AC 10 Volts. Grab a 50Hz .WAV file from the internet a play it @ a lowish volume & compare the output from the Sub Receiver terminal/s & the Sub input/s. THey should be the same, if not you probably have a wiring/connector problem, or faulty Sub or Receiver.

Don't for get to try connecting the Sub box with a short lead to the Sub output & see how that is.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Many budget DMM's don't have a low voltage AC range, but they do have an Ohm-meter.

This will work on interconnects and speaker cables.
Get a resistor, any wattage of about 10 to 50 Ohms.
Disconnect the cable at both ends, measure on wire to the other, the resistance should be near infinite.
Measure the resistor value, connect the resistor across the 2 wires at one end.
Measure the resistance at the other end of the cable, the value should be just slightly more than the resistor by it's self.

Hide this!Advertise here!