Need help with Box design for first subwoofer project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need help with Box design for first dubwoofer project

HI, guys I have to admit I am a noob but you have to start somewhere right? Luckly, my dad will be able to help me through the project if needed. Anyways, I am planning on using the PartsExpress 250W RMS 300-794 or 796 plate amp (depending on enclosure) to power a 12" subwoofer. The woofers I have picked out are either the Adire Shiva or the Dayton TITANIC MKII subwoofer. I need advice on the most suitable type of enclosure would be for either of these drivers. It will be used for 95% Home Theater and %5 music. I need to build something that is fairly simple (with good directions, since I am green in this area) and it needs to be square or somewhat like a regular sub box.

Additionally, I need some information on type construction glue, screws, nails are needed to complete the job. I also would like to know how to surface mount drivers when using only 3/4" MDF for construction. Is this possible? For reference I love this design here: http://coldforged.org/speakernew.html especially the speaker grille, how did he do that? masonite frame? Thanks for any assistance and I apoligize for such a long post.

Glad you like the design :). I meant to post a complete how-to at one point or another, but never got around to it.

As to the speaker grille, it's 3/4" MDF as well. I used the same circle jig on my router to cut out the complete thing, rounded over the exterior edge, then cut out the center leaving about 3/4" of material. You can see it without the cloth on it in this picture here (it's the circle on top of the box). I then spray painted it black, applied spray adhesive to it and wrapped grill cloth around it. Cut the cloth down to size and voila, a cheap grille.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions about the design, as long as it's still in my head... that was done about 3 years ago.

If your goal is to have a box in the smallish size range, a sealed enclosure is about your only option. My design is based on the Dayton 12" DVC, which acts very nicely in a sealed box with around 1 cubic foot of internal volume. That's right at what my little box is internally, with allowances for the internal braces. So, if you calculate out a cube such that your internal dimensions are around 12.5" (to allow for the internal cross-bracing you'll want), that'll give you a decent little sub with a DVC and a PE 250W amp. I've got plenty of grunt, though the true, diahard basshead would probably still desire the extension of a ported design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.