Help the Ijit -- Build a "Bose Cannon" knockoff - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help the Ijit -- Build a "Bose Cannon" knockoff

Welcome to the first installment (on this forum AFAIK) of Help the Ijit, where you try to help (or dissuade) the idle experimenter (that's me) from doing a project.

I recently discovered the concept of the Bose Wave Cannon. Long a Bose ***** (or John?) I am surprised that I'd not heard of it sooner. No matter. I have done a lot of reading of the old (very old) posts here at DIY. I want one! But I am CHEAP!!! I love Bose stuff, but only old, old and cheap (i.e. Bose 901s series I, II).

Not having much in the way of wood-working skills (I like to say that in shop class in 8th grade, I made bird house, which was promptly condemned by the county -- not far from the truth.) I saw some mention of being able to do a really cheap one using a concrete building form and a to-be-chosen subwoofer.

Although not sold at my nearby stores, I guess the go-to tube is from

Sonoco Construction Products

I would need to search for how to purchase...not at my local Lowe's or Home Depot. Perhaps it can be ordered in small lots.

I noted with humor that they have one range called "Blastmaster" ... that would be an appropriate source material for a "Cannon" clone, no? But I digress... I think I want a big, but not huge, tube that would fit in my living room. I'm thinking a 12" diameter and 12-15 ft long will be nice.

I envision a tube, or two, so that one is length L and the longer is 3L. All I have to do then is find a subwoofer and mount it so it is airtight when the tubes are joined. I would like to try just stuffing into the tube (with gasketing? Backer rod? weather stripping?) ... Major problem I'd forsee is that a sub is heavy, and it might make sense to glue in some bracing on the rear magnet of it. This could be done by making the short tube a bit longer than L, and then sticking the sub in rear facing me, so that I could improvise bracing on its rear.

Doing that would seem to make for easy woofer positioning; however I'd need to run the wires ... perhaps just out the long (empty) tube after it's joined?

How to join the two sections? It doesn't have to be strong...it just has to be air-tight. How about something easily undone? Perhaps wrap with a sheet of rubber (old inner tube?) and clamps at each end.

Now this would be cool: a house-shaking sub with not a single carpentry tool needed (assumes I can get tubing cut at store.)

For making the project as simple as possible, I think I need to decide on tube size and then shop for a sub that will fit ... how do I choose the appropriate driver?
Old 20th July 2013, 01:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Flash forward to the 21st century and build a tapped horn.
Old 20th July 2013, 01:36 AM   #3
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Soldermizer,

Try your local construction equipment rental store for sonotubes, that's where they are being sold around here (Odessa, Texas).

If you haven't downloaded it yet, get Hornresp, it's free, and will allow you to simulate your design: Hornresp

As to drivers, maybe take a look at the JBL GTO1241D, you can find it at ebay.

And, I assume, that you have used search to search for similar projects?

Regards,
Old 20th July 2013, 02:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes I read most of the threAds here.

Let me add these to my requirements...

An expensive sub is ok, especially if my boom tube design is a fiasco, I could then build a more conventional box.

Amplifier power is not an issue, as I have three iNukes available. We shall not comment on quality of amps here

Last edited by Soldermizer; 20th July 2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 20th July 2013, 03:59 AM   #5
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
Flash forward to the 21st century and build a tapped horn.
+100. Though I've yet to build one, I know its pretty much best bang for the buck.
Old 20th July 2013, 07:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Snowden might say all horns are tapped
Old 20th July 2013, 03:18 PM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
JBL GTO1241D
Specs? Couldn't find any on the JBL site or Googling.

GM
Old 20th July 2013, 04:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default JBL GTO 1214D (4x4 coils)

GTO 1214D T/S: Sd=511, (coils series; Imp=8-ohms Re=7.68, Le= 1.20), Qes=0.51, Qms=11.11, Qts=0.49, Vas-65.91L, Xmax=12.9mm. Data from JBL in the box with driver. ...regards, Michael
Old 20th July 2013, 04:55 PM   #9
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi GM,

Specs attached:

Regards,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GTO1214D_2013_Mar05.pdf (67.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 20th July 2013, 05:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
Yes I read most of the threAds here.

Let me add these to my requirements...

An expensive sub is ok, especially if my boom tube design is a fiasco, I could then build a more conventional box.

Amplifier power is not an issue, as I have three iNukes available. We shall not comment on quality of amps here
ok, no comments on quality of amps...But Why build such a Boomy speaker? Most people shoot for a "solid" and "tight" bass. But if you "believe" Bose speaker sound good...in that case Build a Bose speaker!

Hide this!Advertise here!