help with my 19 cubic foot box - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2013, 10:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help with my 19 cubic foot box

i am making a sub woofer box for my next project and i am using a
"dayton 18 inch classic subwoofer"
(Dayton Audio DCS450-4 18" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-475)

i have used bass box pro to calculate the best box size for a extended frequency down to 21hz 118 decibels loud

but what i need to know is if it will work?

i have attached the bass box calculations (please rename the ending from ".asc" to ".bb6" so you can open it

cheers for any help
Attached Files
File Type: asc 18 inch dayton classic.asc (3.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 12th July 2013, 06:26 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't have BB6, but just doing a quick T/S max flat calculation using published specs yields a ~16.4 ft^3/21.5 Hz alignment, so wondering why the need for 19 ft^3 if you're not going to tune it lower.

GM
Old 12th July 2013, 07:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

yup, 20hz tuning is nice, but jeez, 16ft3 is a big box for a single 18, but that's the ideal 4th order.

Just because a driver can do 400 watts rms doesn't mean it is 6db louder than 100 watts.

Norman
Old 12th July 2013, 03:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would pick a different woofer that goes low in a smaller box.
Old 12th July 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

It will work as in, you'll get the frequency response out of it, but I'd bet that it won't handle all that much power in the 30-50hz range where most bass lives. Post a screen shot of the excursion graph....
Old 12th July 2013, 08:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
It will work as in, you'll get the frequency response out of it, but I'd bet that it won't handle all that much power in the 30-50hz range where most bass lives. Post a screen shot of the excursion graph....
Xmech will be up from >15Hz by tuning to high?, up from 20Hz. I would double check, before final design or use some effective protection for LF, at around max. excursion/power 275/300 W@4 Ohms.
Old 12th July 2013, 08:46 PM   #7
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Xmech will be up from >15Hz by tuning to high?, up from 20Hz. I would double check, before final design or use some effective protection for LF, at around max. excursion/power 275/300 W@4 Ohms.
I don't understand what you mean. "Xmech" is usually understood to be the maximum excursion before physical damage, is not a value that changes....so I'm confused at what you're getting at.....
Old 13th July 2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Nineteen cubic feet !!

Too bad you already bought the 18 inch "classic".

With an enclosure that HUGE, you could have put TWO of the 18inch
reference series RSS460HO-4

AND... do a reaction-cancelling mounting technique, that would be a SUB !!

p.s. I'll let the math guys do the alignment, but a quick glance at the specs tells me 19 ft^3 is still a tad bit too big even for a PAIR of the RSS 18's !

As soon as PE released this monster driver, I wanted it, even though I don't really need it !!
Old 14th July 2013, 03:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
I don't understand what you mean. "Xmech" is usually understood to be the maximum excursion before physical damage, is not a value that changes....so I'm confused at what you're getting at.....
Xmech (what ever it is) is going to be reached with a "bad" alignment. In this case with frequencies 15Hz and up? with alignments superior to 20Hz tuning. (lingo)

Hide this!Advertise here!