What Plywood are you buying? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2013, 10:39 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

^what is the price of Baltic in your area vs the Home Depot stuff?

Now that I've shopped around my price for Baltic birch is actually cheaper per sq/foot than the local Home Depot for their best wood...
Old 8th July 2013, 11:02 PM   #42
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Good god... not THIS thread again.

I prefer quality ply, which most of the time means shelling out for Baltic Birch.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:14 PM   #43
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Baltic Birch 5'x5' sheets.

Also Birch 2'x4' panels in 1/2" and 3/4" from Home Depot, you have to go to a few HD stores and sort thru a lot of crap to find a few good sheets. Forget the 4'x8's, they're all crap, voids and not enough layers, same for Lowes stock.
Old 9th July 2013, 01:34 AM   #44
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
Baltic Birch 5'x5' sheets.

Also Birch 2'x4' panels in 1/2" and 3/4" from Home Depot, you have to go to a few HD stores and sort thru a lot of crap to find a few good sheets. Forget the 4'x8's, they're all crap, voids and not enough layers, same for Lowes stock.
depends which store and when, most of the time the Oak ply wood is fairly consistent.
Old 9th July 2013, 02:52 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m R g S r View Post
^what is the price of Baltic in your area vs the Home Depot stuff?

Now that I've shopped around my price for Baltic birch is actually cheaper per sq/foot than the local Home Depot for their best wood...
You're paying $2.40 per sq ft for baltic birch 3/4" vs. $1.18 per sq ft for the poplar from home depot.
Old 9th July 2013, 09:55 PM   #46
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The sum is greater than the addition of their parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post
MDF is really just thick cardboard. Nasty stuff. But the density difference between it and BB Ply is really high and they are both very manufacturable, which makes them an ideal pair of materials to sandwich together for really solid dead boxes. I've been building MDF boxes with BB internal ribbing and second layer for fronts and backs, with proper bracing, tapping on a set of cabinets made with that combo is like tapping on a railroad tie.

I'm not a fan of MDF, but adding it to BB Ply really is better than the sum of the parts.

Sheldon
Good, somebody else (besides me) posted this, this time around. Yes, the dreaded thread. Rather noteworthy [that] the elegant solution garnishes very little attention. Yeah, it's a lot of work to do this, but you'll end up with a superior loudspeaker enclosure. Or one could just throw together a "box".
Old 9th July 2013, 11:34 PM   #47
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure how the thread morphed in to mdf direction. (although picked up a good few ideas)

The OP was about hit-or-miss plywood quality at home supply stores; and that they may have special purchases during different times of the year. Also that opposite ends of the country may carry completely different stock.

Everyone must be thinking at this point that box-store-plywood is a last resort; QC is not important and that making some calls to lumber yards/cabinet shops is a very good idea.

2 x 4 bb? I think I did see some at the store, oh-boy what a cup/curve mess.
Old 10th July 2013, 03:58 AM   #48
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

The probelm is often the availability (or lack thereof) of quality material on the retail market. HD is everywhere. Cabinet shops are not - and often that type of suppier is wholesale only. Or has an intentionally prohibitive price if you're not a contractor.
Old 10th July 2013, 01:39 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsixis View Post
I buy from Home Depot or Menards depending on who has the better plywood that day.
I find it amazing that 1/2" plywood is the same price as 3/4" plywood here in Ohio.
Speaking of Ohio -- the DIY Audio Fest sponsored by Parts Express is this weekend near Dayton.

Hide this!Advertise here!