Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What Plywood are you buying?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2013, 05:28 PM   #51
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

One other item to note- it's always worth considering other materials. Some light but stiff materials can be had inexpensively, like foam insulation, and could be faced with wood or another higher density material, making a light but very stiff composite. Layered foamcore board (there's a thread in fullrange about building with this stuff) makes a very serious light/stiff/well damped wall, in equivalent or slightly greater thicknesses to wood product. I've used the plastic faced (more expensive stuff), though, so I'm not sure if the paper faced is as stiff as what I've used. I get it free from work sometimes, as de-comissioned R&D/Marketing signboards.
Old 10th July 2013, 06:26 PM   #52
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Signboard is really a tough product, fir wood I believe, very tight, no voids.
Might be able to swing by sign shops and see what they are doing with the cut-offs.
Old 10th July 2013, 06:37 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Oh, the stuff I'm talking about is plastic-faced foamboard. I have also gotten Coroplast, which is corrugated plastic, very strong but haven't messed with it yet.
Old 10th July 2013, 08:12 PM   #54
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokessd View Post
MDF is really just thick cardboard. Nasty stuff.
No it's not, it's made from pulp and waste pulp. It isn't "nasty" and it's easily CNC-machined to a mil or better. It coats nicely. Be careful with your cuts and you won't have to sand or bondo the edges!

The only problem with MDF in its pre-coating state is that dimensionality changes with changes in humidity. A minor problem with MDF is that the price moves inversely to other wood products. When you're not building houses the supply of waste pulp decreases, so the price of MDF goes up.

Medex is several times more expensive than MDF.
Old 10th July 2013, 08:40 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
The only problem with MDF in its pre-coating state is that dimensionality changes with changes in humidity.
MDF dust is also particularly unpleasant, MDF does require extra care when finishing to make sure the edges are extremely well sealed, and unlike premium ply, you can't get a nice finish without another layer, be it paint or veneer.
Old 11th July 2013, 06:19 PM   #56
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Speaking of Ohio -- the DIY Audio Fest sponsored by Parts Express is this weekend near Dayton.
I may drive over there

What Plywood are you buying?Hide this!Advertise here!