What Plywood are you buying?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Baltic Birch 5'x5' sheets.

Also Birch 2'x4' panels in 1/2" and 3/4" from Home Depot, you have to go to a few HD stores and sort thru a lot of crap to find a few good sheets. Forget the 4'x8's, they're all crap, voids and not enough layers, same for Lowes stock.

Baltic Birch 5'x5' sheets.

Also Birch 2'x4' panels in 1/2" and 3/4" from Home Depot, you have to go to a few HD stores and sort thru a lot of crap to find a few good sheets. Forget the 4'x8's, they're all crap, voids and not enough layers, same for Lowes stock.

depends which store and when, most of the time the Oak ply wood is fairly consistent.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The sum is greater than the addition of their parts

MDF is really just thick cardboard. Nasty stuff. But the density difference between it and BB Ply is really high and they are both very manufacturable, which makes them an ideal pair of materials to sandwich together for really solid dead boxes. I've been building MDF boxes with BB internal ribbing and second layer for fronts and backs, with proper bracing, tapping on a set of cabinets made with that combo is like tapping on a railroad tie.

I'm not a fan of MDF, but adding it to BB Ply really is better than the sum of the parts.

Sheldon

Good, somebody else (besides me) posted this, this time around. Yes, the dreaded thread. Rather noteworthy [that] the elegant solution garnishes very little attention. Yeah, it's a lot of work to do this, but you'll end up with a superior loudspeaker enclosure. Or one could just throw together a "box".

Not sure how the thread morphed in to mdf direction. (although picked up a good few ideas)

The OP was about hit-or-miss plywood quality at home supply stores; and that they may have special purchases during different times of the year. Also that opposite ends of the country may carry completely different stock.

Everyone must be thinking at this point that box-store-plywood is a last resort; QC is not important and that making some calls to lumber yards/cabinet shops is a very good idea.

2 x 4 bb? I think I did see some at the store, oh-boy what a cup/curve mess.

One other item to note- it's always worth considering other materials. Some light but stiff materials can be had inexpensively, like foam insulation, and could be faced with wood or another higher density material, making a light but very stiff composite. Layered foamcore board (there's a thread in fullrange about building with this stuff) makes a very serious light/stiff/well damped wall, in equivalent or slightly greater thicknesses to wood product. I've used the plastic faced (more expensive stuff), though, so I'm not sure if the paper faced is as stiff as what I've used. I get it free from work sometimes, as de-comissioned R&D/Marketing signboards.

MDF is really just thick cardboard. Nasty stuff.

No it's not, it's made from pulp and waste pulp. It isn't "nasty" and it's easily CNC-machined to a mil or better. It coats nicely. Be careful with your cuts and you won't have to sand or bondo the edges!

The only problem with MDF in its pre-coating state is that dimensionality changes with changes in humidity. A minor problem with MDF is that the price moves inversely to other wood products. When you're not building houses the supply of waste pulp decreases, so the price of MDF goes up.

Medex is several times more expensive than MDF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.