First HT sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a sub for a friend of mine who is putting in a home theatre. The room is 26/14/9 and he has installed Dayton in walls for a 5.1 system. I have a Dayton RS315HF-4 for the driver and a bash 300 amp. I need opinions on what size enclosure i should use to sound the best with his HT. Also would you go sealed or vented?

Ok so it looks as if a vented 3-4 cu ft enclosure will be the best choice.

3cuft is about right for vented. F3=23Hz

You can go for a 3cuft Closed Box if you don't mind a higher F3=36Hz.

Attachments

• DAYTON RSS315HF4_ported.jpg
    DAYTON RSS315HF4_ported.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DAYTON RSS315HF4_SEALED.jpg
    DAYTON RSS315HF4_SEALED.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 123
Hi, guys.
It's my first impression that Dayton Audio 12" woofer RSS315HF-4 is well adapted for a sealed sub enclosure with that mentioned amp. (Just as a side note the 400W max. can not take the woofer to max excursion in a BR that would need close to min. power ~900/1000W@4/3.6 Ohms). This combo amp+driver (sealed) is just perfect. I would probably start with a sealed ~100L/90L(QTC = 0.707) enclosure, as was referenced (85L) in the previous post.

100L = 3.5315ft³
85L = 3.0017ft³ (Michael Chua)

The VB ~120 L/FB ~ 22.0 Hz for a BR, low tunning frequency and monstrous enclosure (you have to add here to the net int. vol. all the space for the big vents and all) doesn't make it a good BR practical candidate, instead it's good performance and low F-3 dB=20 Hz. The problem is again is the power RMS needed for such a monster Pmin. 698.2 W@4.2 Ohms to 818.3 W@3.6 Ohms (22/164.3 Hz), for it's max.excursion, when 400W is the spec RMS and amp specs (Bash 300W) are "300 watts RMS @ 0.5% THD into 4 ohm load".

A quarter wave is also a great performer for this driver. :D

Thanks for all the posts guys. I am starting the build this weekend and am going to do a 3.5cu ft ported with 2x3" ports. I am having a carpenter build the box as it is going to be disguised as an end table type thing and painted to match the existing cabinetry. I will post some pics when i have them.
Cheers.

Before you go too much further- has your friend considered infinite baffles?

Zalytron has their woofers on sale, the 1201PL is $99.... for a case of 12, solid 12" woofers. They would work nicely in an infinite baffle (in-wall) setup, with 8 of them, you would never be wanting for output or power handling.

Zalytron has their woofers on sale, the 1201PL is $99.... for a case of 12, solid 12" woofers. They would work nicely in an infinite baffle (in-wall) setup, with 8 of them, you would never be wanting for output or power handling.

My friend is too concerned about looks and wants the cabinet to match her built ins as much as possible. Nice idea though. Thanks.

My friend is too concerned about looks and wants the cabinet to match her built ins as much as possible. Nice idea though. Thanks.

I am going to install a number of of cross braces and seal the inside of the cabinet with silicon before closing.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was the join itself. Carpenters may not be aware of what's important in a loudspeaker box. You want all the joins to be tight. Simple lap joins with biscuits, a liberal spread of Titebond and clamping will give sufficient strength in the joins. After that, you can line the inside with silicon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.