Enclosure for Hertz ES 300D - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2013, 12:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure for Hertz ES 300D

Hey all First time poster.

I'm building a subwoofer for my car. The cabinet is going to be just around 90 liters.

Inner dimensions, a sloped prism(back of the enclosure being sloped);
Width = 800mm
Bottom Depth = 379mm
Top Depth = 281mm
Height = 356mm
~90 liters, after accounting for a bit of bracing, port and woofer itself.
I'm going to use 22mm MDF.

I'm considering porting it using a rectangular port. The port would fill the entire height of the enclosure, 356mm. Port width would be 50mm. WinISD calculates port length to be 499mm, at mach 0.06 or 20.4 m/s.

Is this port speed too high? If I were to mount the woofer in the middle of the cabinet, I wouldn't be able to run the port by the width of the woofer, but I would be able to run it towards the sloped back, making a turn and run it back
like in this picture(on the right)Click the image to open in full size.

How would this affect performance, would it create any port noise at these air speeds?

Would a flared port be a good idea due to "high" air speeds? If so, how large would I need to make the flare? Around the double of the port width?

Last edited by Spookybear; 5th July 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 6th July 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
DrDyna is online now DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

YMMV, but one of the side benefits I've noticed after doing a couple of car enclosures with the L shaped slot port is that being in the trunk does a great job of masking small amounts of port chuffing sounds. I've never heard any chuffing with 15" drivers (driven to near clip with 750D RF amps) and 3" x 18" slot ports.

At 50mm, I might try to make it a little bigger, see if you can calculate it using 70 or 80mm width.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't fold the port around as you've drawn, unless there's something I'm not aware of.
Old 9th July 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

PORTS
2 x PR vs Ported

Hide this!Advertise here!