Flat Subwoofer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2013, 03:25 PM   #1
zcables is offline zcables  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Flat Subwoofer?

I would like to build a subwoofer to fit under my stereo cabinet so it would be tucked out of the way, but that would also make it centered between my speakers and away from any corners. The subwoofer would be mostly for music, but I would IDEALLY like something that goes down to 25Hz as I enjoy plenty of organ and classic music, as well as Jazz with piano and stand-up bass. I always run full range floorstanding speakers, so the subwoofer does not have to come up past 60-80Hz.

Space limitations are around 5" tall, but 20" deep and 36" long. Any recommendations would be very helpful, and I haven't found any similar DIY plans.

The below picture is an interesting design that never came to market, so who knows how it would actually sound:

This new prototype FPS10 subwoofer from Audiovox features a flat design that stands in stark opposition to the big and bulky subwoofers we are used to. At 31.5"w x 4.5"h x 15.2"d, the FPS10 is lean enough to be hidden under a couch or behind an entertainment cabinet. It also features 225WRMS class-D amplifier, powering an active 10" woofer with a 12-inch passive radiator.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd July 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Some suggestions here, but not as low as you want:
Bass unit for shallow enclosure

While searching for that post found a fair amount of shallow car subs, many which could fit into a 5" depth, some of which have Fs near 25 Hz.

Have not actually heard any of the shallow subwoofers, so can't give any personal endorsements.
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcables View Post
IDEALLY like something that goes down to 25Hz as I enjoy plenty of organ and classic music, as well as Jazz with piano and stand-up bass.

Space limitations are around 5" tall, but 20" deep and 36" long.
Do you mean 25Hz@-10dB or similar roll-off (F-3 dB), not really flat 25Hz low freq. extension, right?!
Ext. size is about 58L/59L = ~2.05ft³
What is very much possible for the 10" sbacoustics SW26DAC76-4 that has less than 4" thick, good for a F-3 dB = 20/25Hz ff.
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Make sure you understand what 25hz sounds like, most people just want it to go as low as possible but don't realize that 25 hz or lower is hardly ever in any music out there.. 2nd I don't know many home subs that are shallow mount, but the whole shallow mount is working against your desire for lower end. A normal subwoofer has less trouble with lower frequencies than a shallow mount sub, if you went all out and had a bunch of money, than I guess you could maybe get what you want with the JL 13TW5 or a couple of them its a large sub so it can handle lower frequencies better, also mounts at 2.5" depth, but cost 400-500 a piece.

BTW that sub you showed wouldn't hit 25hz audible in a million years, at only 225 watts RMS you would be hard pressed to get 30hz loud enough with that shallow depth
Old 8th July 2013, 09:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I emailed Tang Band about their WT-1427G woofer, and below is their answer:

Our engineer team suggest that passive radiator cabinet design is most suitable for WT-1427G with your project.

Cabinet volume = 14L,
F3 = 36Hz,
FO = 35Hz.
Passive board area = WT-1427G vibration area,
vibration Weight = 250G
Old 8th July 2013, 09:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I saw this recently at PE. Looked like an interesting way of handling multiple distributed subwoofers.

Dayton Audio VS8 8" Universal Low-Profile Subwoofer 300-490
Old 9th July 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcables View Post
I emailed Tang Band about their WT-1427G woofer, and below is their answer:

Our engineer team suggest that passive radiator cabinet design is most suitable for WT-1427G with your project.

Cabinet volume = 14L,
F3 = 36Hz,
FO = 35Hz.
Passive board area = WT-1427G vibration area,
vibration Weight = 250G
Yes, my simulation shows very close data for the TB WT-1427G with F-3 dB = 38 Hz (free-field).
Compare this with the clean 25Hz of the 10" SBacoustics SW26DAC76-4 you requested above in my previous post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANGBAND WT-1427G, VB = 14.0 L, FB = 34.6 Hz.jpg (83.0 KB, 285 views)
Old 9th July 2013, 05:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

SB ACOUSTICS SW26DAC76-4, VB = 45.0 L, FB = 20.0 Hz
F-3 dB = 21 Hz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB ACOUSTICS SW26DAC76-4, VB = 45.0 L, FB = 20.0 Hz.jpg (85.8 KB, 283 views)
Old 10th July 2013, 12:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

That does look very good for the size of the driver and cabinet. Did you model that sealed, ported, PR?
Old 10th July 2013, 03:05 AM   #10
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi zcables,

For for general information: the "rabbit" posted scanned brochure pictures for the EV Interface B from the mid 1970s:
Electrovoice Interface B Series 3 Brochure - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
The more things change, the more they stay the same. You need to find a low profile (shallow) woofer with a Fs=25Hz (or so) and a low Vas, and a passive radiator with about twice the Sd of your woofer. I recommend Jeff Bagby's woofer box and circuit designer to simulate passive radiator boxes: Loudspeaker Design Software

Regards,

Hide this!Advertise here!