Flat Subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build a subwoofer to fit under my stereo cabinet so it would be tucked out of the way, but that would also make it centered between my speakers and away from any corners. The subwoofer would be mostly for music, but I would IDEALLY like something that goes down to 25Hz as I enjoy plenty of organ and classic music, as well as Jazz with piano and stand-up bass. I always run full range floorstanding speakers, so the subwoofer does not have to come up past 60-80Hz.

Space limitations are around 5" tall, but 20" deep and 36" long. Any recommendations would be very helpful, and I haven't found any similar DIY plans.

The below picture is an interesting design that never came to market, so who knows how it would actually sound:

This new prototype FPS10 subwoofer from Audiovox features a flat design that stands in stark opposition to the big and bulky subwoofers we are used to. At 31.5"w x 4.5"h x 15.2"d, the FPS10 is lean enough to be hidden under a couch or behind an entertainment cabinet. It also features 225WRMS class-D amplifier, powering an active 10" woofer with a 12-inch passive radiator.

The-Audiovox-FPS-10-Flat-Subwoofer-2.png

IDEALLY like something that goes down to 25Hz as I enjoy plenty of organ and classic music, as well as Jazz with piano and stand-up bass.

Space limitations are around 5" tall, but 20" deep and 36" long.
Do you mean 25Hz@-10dB or similar roll-off (F-3 dB), not really flat 25Hz low freq. extension, right?! ;)
Ext. size is about 58L/59L = ~2.05ft³
What is very much possible for the 10" sbacoustics SW26DAC76-4 that has less than 4" thick, good for a F-3 dB = 20/25Hz ff. :D

Make sure you understand what 25hz sounds like, most people just want it to go as low as possible but don't realize that 25 hz or lower is hardly ever in any music out there.. 2nd I don't know many home subs that are shallow mount, but the whole shallow mount is working against your desire for lower end. A normal subwoofer has less trouble with lower frequencies than a shallow mount sub, if you went all out and had a bunch of money, than I guess you could maybe get what you want with the JL 13TW5 or a couple of them its a large sub so it can handle lower frequencies better, also mounts at 2.5" depth, but cost 400-500 a piece.

BTW that sub you showed wouldn't hit 25hz audible in a million years, at only 225 watts RMS you would be hard pressed to get 30hz loud enough with that shallow depth

I emailed Tang Band about their WT-1427G woofer, and below is their answer:

Our engineer team suggest that passive radiator cabinet design is most suitable for WT-1427G with your project.

Cabinet volume = 14L,
F3 = 36Hz,
FO = 35Hz.
Passive board area = WT-1427G vibration area,
vibration Weight = 250G
Yes, my simulation shows very close data for the TB WT-1427G with F-3 dB = 38 Hz (free-field).
Compare this with the clean 25Hz of the 10" SBacoustics SW26DAC76-4 you requested above in my previous post.

Attachments

• TANGBAND WT-1427G, VB = 14.0 L, FB = 34.6 Hz.jpg
    TANGBAND WT-1427G, VB = 14.0 L, FB = 34.6 Hz.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 556
Hi zcables,

For for general information: the "rabbit" posted scanned brochure pictures for the EV Interface B from the mid 1970s:
Electrovoice Interface B Series 3 Brochure - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
The more things change, the more they stay the same. You need to find a low profile (shallow) woofer with a Fs=25Hz (or so) and a low Vas, and a passive radiator with about twice the Sd of your woofer. I recommend Jeff Bagby's woofer box and circuit designer to simulate passive radiator boxes: Loudspeaker Design Software

Regards,

Well. I just purchased one of the flat Acoustic Research subwoofers NIB listed above for less than any of the above mentioned drivers sell for individually. If it enda up sounding good, great! If it isn't what I need, then I can resell it for what I bought it for, or take it apart for the ICEpower based plate amp, 10" woofer, etc.

I should get it in the mail this week, and I'll post an update. Thank you everyone for your responses, and I may still need those suggestion ms in the future.

Attachments

• Acoustic Research FPS10 Subwoofer.JPG
    Acoustic Research FPS10 Subwoofer.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
After a month of use, the FPS10 is an impressive subwoofer. Obviously the draw on it is the flat design as it's less than 6" tall, but it feels well built, with a decent vinyl finish that disappears into the room. The output and sound quality are good, and as good as any big box store subwoofer. SA subwoofer like an SVS is much better, but you will pay much more and it makes up much more space. Frequency sounds solid to 30Hz for music, and obviously benefits from room boundary reinforcement.

I started running the subwoofer off the second ouput of my Dodd Tube Buffer, and had to turn the gain almost all the way up to match my stereo, full-range speakers. With the crossover set to 50Hz, the subwoofer blended well with the speakers, and provided 10Hz of additional low end reinforcement. I then plugged the subwoofer into the output of my TV, turned up the crossover to 80Hz, turned down the volume to 1/4, and the subwoofer blended very will with the stock TV speakers. Listening to the TV with just the additional subwoofer greatly improved the frequency response, sound impact, and listening experience.

I highly recommend the Acoustic Research FPS10 for anyone needing a flat subwoofer, especially since it sounds as good as any big box store subwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.