Subwoofer for Small Room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What Subwoofer does everyone recommend for a small 15x'15' room?

Currently Setup:
Polk Audio PSW-350 SUBWOOFER
Emotiva AirMotiv 6 SPEAKER

DAC: Schiit Gungnir
Pre-Amplifier: Schiit Mjolnir

The current subwoofer is too boomy compared to the speaker's bass. The two bass's do not transition well.
When i turn the volume up, it shakes the room. I think it's a subwoofer more suited for home theater action movies.

What subwoofer do you recommend that is more high end and can be a good match for studio monitors?
I like something more crisp/tight without the unnecessary shakes.
Hope you all can recommend me one for under $600.

Tim

Last edited:
OK.
Tim, first let's try a small trick.
Refer to Polk Audio PSW-350 SUB.
Let's correct it's QTC.
Go to the back dual ports and try to correct them (one at a time for best results, use some socks or some speaker foam port plugs). You would probably be better off with a sealed box at the limit. Adjust volume and phase. Share your results.

Attachments

• loudspeaker port plugs.jpg
    loudspeaker port plugs.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 290
Put the subwoofer where you listen, then crawl around the room. Find where the bass sounds its best, then put the subwoofer there.

That's an age-old trick apparently. Worked for me when I had a huge 30Hz suckout that took out the LF energy in some electronic tracks.

I also find it informative to hook up a computer and run a frequency sweep from 100 down to 40Hz. Listen out for any nulls, and if you happen to find one, see if reversing the phase of the subwoofer helps things at all.

Getting a single subwoofer to sound good in a room is difficult, though not impossible. Some compromise on frequency response is inevitable, though: I lost some ~20Hz output when I moved the sub to fill out the 30Hz null.

Chris

@ Inductor

I will buy two of those cylinder foam and see how well it does in dampening the dual ports.
Whenever it inhales and exhale there is quite an audible noise coming from the ports, so that may be one of my problems.

The subwoofer came with around 2 1/2" of polyfill at the bottom only, so I added 1" acoustic foam to the side walls of the subwoofer hoping to remove the boomyness of the bass, but it was still there. It did however improve some harshness to the sound.

Do you think that it's the drivers fault?
Perhaps the internal dual ports are too long?
Maybe the amplifier board has a bad design?

This was bought YEARS ago for $650, so it wasn't no cheap sub back then.
Not sure if it's best to upgrade it or just buy a new subwoofer.
I can always buy a new driver, amplifier board, and dampeners but perhaps something more modern will sound better due to quality design.

Was thinking of sourcing a a better driver: (15-150hz)
TC Sounds Epic 10" DVC Subwoofer 293-656

Though without much expertise, i think it's wiser to ask the community first.
Not sure if it would even be good to use with it's current built in amplifier.

Do you think that there is a chance for me to buy a complete subwoofer kit (amplifier board, driver, etc) and change everything out?
I'd hate to throw away a perfectly good enclosure.

@ Chris661

This is one of those small rooms where there is only 1-2 places to put the subwoofer (due to large bed size).

I dampen my room walls with studio acoustic foam (wave/spike shapes) which improved dynamics, but this speaker is loud regardless of where i put it. Even in the living room it shakes the floors and has a nasty loose bass sound. Tested some 40-100hz frequencies, first on the speaker, then on the subwoofer and oh boy, the two plays it much much differently.

Subwoofer was put in my room for movie purposes, but it's bass makes me noxious.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.